Is there such a thing as too niche?

Looking to get a podcast question answered? Whether it's find a solution to a problem or trying to figure out the best way to accomplish something, ask your question here. Please make sure to check the Tutorials, Guides and How Tos before asking your question.
joshuacliston

Is there such a thing as too niche?

Post by joshuacliston » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:16 pm

Hey all,

Been thinking a lot about the idea of the "niche" and whether it's possible to go 'too niche'!

My show On The Bubble podcast is about as Niche as a TV podcast gets (it's a narrative style show covering save-our-show TV fan campaigns), and I feel like I might have boxed myself in a little bit more than I ever intended to (there just isn't enough resource material out there to feed the content-machine), and it's making the production of regular episodes pretty tough.

So my #Q is a two-parter:
1) how would you about expanding your shows range and subject matter? and
2) what type of timeline do you think would work best? (slow roll out vs fast change?)

Thanks in advance Podcasters :D
Last edited by joshuacliston on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

StargatePioneer

Re: Is there such a thing as too niche?

Post by StargatePioneer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Josh, have you thought about covering controversial shows or shows with poor reviews or shows that never happened? You could focus on the creative team and their history in some / all shows. Marvel's Most Wanted, Inhumans, and the upcoming Alex Inc are all prime examples. You could explore the discussion trends in social media, the good and bad points about the show's premises, and your prognostication about the show's future. Especially with platforms like Netflix out there that have rescued shows.....which is ANOTHER topic you could cover. Last Man Standing. Gilmore Girls. Arrested Development. Fuller House, There's really tons of content to explore. Both current and historical.

As for speed, I'd get content out there whenever is was ready.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:45 pm

StargatePioneer wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:10 pm
Josh, have you thought about covering controversial shows or shows with poor reviews or shows that never happened? You could focus on the creative team and their history in some / all shows. Marvel's Most Wanted, Inhumans, and the upcoming Alex Inc are all prime examples. You could explore the discussion trends in social media, the good and bad points about the show's premises, and your prognostication about the show's future. Especially with platforms like Netflix out there that have rescued shows.....which is ANOTHER topic you could cover. Last Man Standing. Gilmore Girls. Arrested Development. Fuller House, There's really tons of content to explore. Both current and historical.

As for speed, I'd get content out there whenever is was ready.
Excellent ideas SP. Some of which I'd already given some though to, and some not. :D

So I'm sensing from the tone of your reply, that maybe the only person who is super attached my sub-niche, is me! ha..

**I think I've been sucked in by the Pod-marketeers who demonize moving in and around ones niche.**

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:55 pm

I think you are completely fine to do whatever you want. Ultimately the SEO from your show will start pulling in a ton of evergreen content seekers. But it might take a while and a few seasons.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:53 pm

StargatePioneer wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:55 pm
It might take a while and a few seasons.
Thanks again SP, it's good to know that there are at least some experienced podcasters out there who actually see the value of seasonal releases for the hobbyist. Honestly, I understand why seasons may hinder the growth of a show (as to some degree you're always trying to re-build some portion of your audience with each new season, in particular if the seasons are a long time apart - say more than 6weeks) ..but as a hobbyist, if I had of put On The Bubble podcast on a seasonal format from day one with good sized breaks, I definitely would have produced more episodes than I have, not less.

Maybe a topic for @BetterPod - the seasonal podcasting formats - the pros, cons, strengths and weaknesses.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:43 am

joshuacliston wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:53 pm
StargatePioneer wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:55 pm
It might take a while and a few seasons.
Thanks again SP, it's good to know that there are at least some experienced podcasters out there who actually see the value of seasonal releases for the hobbyist. Honestly, I understand why seasons may hinder the growth of a show (as to some degree you're always trying to re-build some portion of your audience with each new season, in particular if the seasons are a long time apart - say more than 6weeks) ..but as a hobbyist, if I had of put On The Bubble podcast on a seasonal format from day one with good sized breaks, I definitely would have produced more episodes than I have, not less.

Maybe a topic for @BetterPod - the seasonal podcasting formats - the pros, cons, strengths and weaknesses.
Good input. I'll talk to Stephen about it.