Taking the next step in mics and more...but...

Looking to get a podcast question answered? Whether it's find a solution to a problem or trying to figure out the best way to accomplish something, ask your question here. Please make sure to check the Tutorials, Guides and How Tos before asking your question.
In the 906

Post by In the 906 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:04 pm

I'm ready to make the jump from the Yeti to a better microphone, but I'm not sure what else I need to make the jump.

I have two use cases:

1. My wife and I are co-hosts on a podcast in our home.
2. A good friend lives hours away, so I'd like to stay with a double-ender. We've used Zencastr for VIOP and recording to good success.

For new mics, I'm looking at a pair of ATR 2005's - which feels like a good upgrade from the Yeti.

My question to you all - what else do I *need*, and/or *should have* to make the above two use cases work?

-an audio interface?
-mixer?
-recorder (a Zoom?)?
-or something completely different?

If I had just use case #1, I'd try to get by with the two of us on separate laptops, recording to our own files. But would there be bleeding from the other mic?

If I had just use case #2, I'd try to get away with just plugging into my laptop.

Alas, I'm not made of money, so above & beyond the two ATR 2005's, I can probably get one of the above three items for now, but not more than that.

I could use your advice...thanks!
Greg.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Greg,

First of all have you considered the $40 Knox Podcast Microphone instead to the AT2005? It works just as well, it has the same functionality but only at half the price. I did a review comparison of both microphones earlier this year: https://youtu.be/nG8tn3xhcLw

Secondly, you are likely to get bleed using any microphone in the same room. You can eliminate a lot of it by using a dynamic cardioid microphone, good microphone technique and speaker/microphone placement but you will still get some. A noise gate might help further but that might be beyond your price range at the moment.

There are a few emerging options to handle both use cases but they are $500-$600. The Zoom L12 and the Sound Devices Mix Pre3. I'm guessing these are more than you have to spend at the moment as well.

There's nothing wrong with using the two laptop method to start. So that's still on the table. Using the Knox or the AT2005 you could also use a Zoom XLR capable recorder for both cases. With you and your wife you could just record directly into it. With your friend you could connect to the laptop via USB and to the recorder via XLR at the same time and record that way. In fact I did just that on Better Podcasting 94 last week on the road.

Even if you do use Zencaster I would highly recommend the digital recorder as a backup. PC or web based recorder can and do fail. I still lament the first podcast I guested on that was lost forever. While not fool proof (you have to remember to press record and have a functioning SD card) they are an extra level of backup that could save you someday from completely losing a recording.

~SP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

In the 906

Re: Taking the next step in mics and more...but...

Post by In the 906 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Thanks a bunch SP! Your video was really convincing. Truth to tell - I've always been a sucker for that Enterprise intro!
I'll also take your advice about a digital recorder (esp. since I''m about to save some funds with the Knox).
Thanks!

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:45 am

If you are going the route of a digital recorder I would heartily recommend that you get one with at least 2 XLR inputs. The Zoom H5 can be expanded to 4 by using the EXH-6 capsule as well., But if you only think you'll ever need 2 inputs the Tascam DR-40 and Zoom H4n Pro are fine options as well.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

In the 906

Post by In the 906 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:47 pm

Just saw your note SP...after putting my order in for an H5! :)

I can see my college kid wanting to be a part of a few podcasts when she comes home, so the choice for an H5 was an easy one.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:24 pm

I heart my H5. Whether on the road:

https://twitter.com/StargatePioneer/sta ... 5902999553

Or capturing video:

https://twitter.com/StargatePioneer/sta ... 0912247808

https://twitter.com/StargatePioneer/sta ... 6872930304

But in order to capture three microphones via XLR you will need the EXH-6 capsule (shown in the middle in front of the white note, also the box is to the left of the recorder):

https://twitter.com/StoryBehindPod/stat ... 8379974656

In the 906

Post by In the 906 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Good pictures SP! Yep, I saw the additional capsule for our Kid to join in - like that this is scale-able when we're ready.