In the field

Looking to get a podcast question answered? Whether it's find a solution to a problem or trying to figure out the best way to accomplish something, ask your question here. Please make sure to check the Tutorials, Guides and How Tos before asking your question.
Highlandcapital31

In the field

Post by Highlandcapital31 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Good evening and thank you for letting me join your site.

Quick question I have everything to start my Audacity- Skype-Ecam- Pond 5 and my ATR 2100 MIKE

But I have the chance to meet a local sports person but not at my house. What do I need to record an interview
outwith my home?

Also can I use 80's pop music on my show??

Thank you in advance.

zacharywebb

Re: In the field

Post by zacharywebb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Recording in the field:
1. You can take a laptop along, and record with two USB mics into Spreaker Studio or VoiceMeeter Banana. (Good tradeoff)
2. You can get a Zoom H4n record with 2 XLR mics. (Best quality, most expensive)
3. You can use your smartphone to record. (Worst quality, cheapest)
- Zachary Webb -
Podcaster at Serious About Tech! - Freelance Web Developer at WebbCo.us
Follower of Jesus Christ

Highlandcapital31

Post by Highlandcapital31 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Thank you brotha

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:55 am

Highlandcapital31 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:13 pm
Also can I use 80's pop music on my show??
Welcome to the site!

Unfortunately you cannot use 80's pop music on your podcast legally. If someone challenges you via a DCMA take-down either your podcast media host will be forced to remove your episode or the songs rights owners will be in contact with you and not only issue you the take-down legal notice but also they can assess you fees for use as well as punitive damages. I have heard of these fees being in the tens of thousands of dollars before. Plus you'll probably have to get yourself a lawyer and pay the lawyer fees.

Does this happen often that we hear about? No. Does this happen often? Actually yes. Rob Walch of Libsyn has spoken about the DCMA take-down process a few times on Libsyn's The Feed podcast and I remember hearing Todd Cochrane of Raw Voice Media (the parent company to Blubrry)discuss it before as well.

In addition to The Feed a great free legal resource to understand the processes involved is Gordon Firemark. He is a lawyer in entertainment law and he has both a podcast and a website. https://firemark.com/category/podcasts/

Gordon has done a specific episode about playing copyrighted material in your show.

I hope this has been of some help to you. Good luck with your podcast!
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

Zandrax

Post by Zandrax » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:26 pm

Your best bet for music would be to check out sites like incompetech.com and pond5.com, which have royalty free music. Sure it's not true pop bands, but you can find something with the right feel.

Playing copyrighted material as a whole is not a good idea. Do you want to get sued? Because that's how you get sued. :)