RSS Redirects

Looking to get a podcast question answered? Whether it's find a solution to a problem or trying to figure out the best way to accomplish something, ask your question here. Please make sure to check the Tutorials, Guides and How Tos before asking your question.
Zandrax

RSS Redirects

Post by Zandrax » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Hey all,

After many months of procrastinating, I've decided to update my RSS feed for Geekville Radio.

Here is the old feed that still shows up in podcast engines http://www.a1-wrestling.com/podcast/gee ... kville.xml

I am trying to redirect it here http://geekvilleradio.com/feed/main

The problem is I think I did the exact opposite. If I type in the "new" feed, it loads the old a1-wrestling.com feed.

The old site is down, so I can't access it in WordPress. But I can still upload via FTP. So if I can get the right code, I should be able to upload that to the old page, and get everything redirected.

Though I suppose a worst case scenario, I can record a quick show saying "We've moved!"

Any feedback is welcome.

yakko

Re: RSS Redirects

Post by yakko » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:25 am

If you have FTP access you should be able to manually do the 301 redirect by updating the .htaccess file. Take a look at the root directory on the domain, whatever is hosting the a1-wrestling.com web files. There should be a .htaccess file, but you might have to have your ftp client show hidden files first. the . at the beginning in Unix makes it a hidden file.

Add a line like this to the file:
Redirect 301 /podcast/geekville/geekville.xml https://geekvilleradio.com/feed/main

You will also have to undo whatever you did on the Geekvilleradio.com side because you did do it backwards and it looks like that's redirecting to the older feed.

Zandrax

Post by Zandrax » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi Yakko,

Thank you for the reply.

The good news is when I go to iTunes and choose the podcast website, it does go to the geekville site. So I think that part is working. The problem is of course that it redirects to the old a1-wrestling.com site.

I do have FTP access, but I don't see any actual rss file. I assume this is due to how WordPress runs things. I guess I will just have to meticulously go line by line through my WordPress settings and make sure everything is listed accordingly.

yakko

Post by yakko » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:26 pm

the .htaccess file should override anything in Wordpress. It's on the web server level. It'll redirect the actual URL you specify, the file doesn't even have to exist AFAIK.

Zandrax

Post by Zandrax » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:15 pm

I do have an .htaccess text file, I just don't think I've put it in the right place.

But I did find my settings for the Page, and forgot that I had imported the a1-wrestling feed in the first place. So hence why the page would get redirected. All the site references hadn't been changed. Once I fixed that, the new page loads as needed!

Half the problem is done. Thanks for the advice!

yakko

Post by yakko » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:17 pm

great to hear it!

Zandrax

Post by Zandrax » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Happy to report all my old as dirt feeds are updated now. Hoo hah!