Using a smartphone as a soundboard

Looking to get a podcast question answered? Whether it's find a solution to a problem or trying to figure out the best way to accomplish something, ask your question here. Please make sure to check the Tutorials, Guides and How Tos before asking your question.
Zandrax

Post by Zandrax » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:46 pm

How do you all do it? Right now I use the old two ended headset cable to run into the Line In on my PC. It doesn't sound as good as if I just run the audio from the PC itself, but it's so much more convenient.

Is there a way to use an Android Phone as a soundboard via USB?

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:32 pm

I run my iPad into my Mackie mixer with a 3.5 mm to RCA Y cable. The App I use is BossJockStudio but that's iOS not Android. Are you streaming live? If not you can always add in your effects in post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

Zandrax

Re: Using a smartphone as a soundboard

Post by Zandrax » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 pm

None of my shows are live. I've been doing effects in post, I'm just trying to save a step. But thanks for the reply.

yakko

Post by yakko » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:17 pm

I have an older iPad 2 and an old dock connector cable that splits out USB and line-out on the other side. I have that going into a line-in on my mixer and it works well. I've also used newer iphones with the cable using a lightning adapter, so when I eventually upgrade it should still work.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:34 am

I have an iPad Gen 1 that I use with a program called Soundbyte cart machine. It works well although admittedly I've never tried others so can't speak on how it compares.

Wiring, fairly similar to SP.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

yakko

Post by yakko » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:44 pm

here's the type of cable I use if you want to get line-out and charge at the same time: http://amzn.to/2q7k5qq

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:32 am

I personally just use the headphone jack, but I also don't keep mine plugged in charging or I get a buzz and would have to throw an isolator in line (which isn't a big deal).

yakko

Post by yakko » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:00 am

I found I get a buzz when the usb is plugged into my computer, but plugged into a power adapter on my UPS it doesn't buzz.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:08 am

That's good to hear and definitely in line with ground loop problems. Why do I say in line? Because on paper ground loops should be easy to remove without extra equipment but in practice with audio gear they cause all sorts of issues, sometimes in places where it doesn't make sense. I have a computer with multiple sound cards and I've had it where literally one card has needed them and another hadn't. A few months later the one that didn't, does now. :D