Facebook promotion

Looking to get a podcast question answered? Whether it's find a solution to a problem or trying to figure out the best way to accomplish something, ask your question here. Please make sure to check the Tutorials, Guides and How Tos before asking your question.
yakko

Facebook promotion

Post by yakko » Mon May 01, 2017 11:13 am

Has anyone had experience boosting posts or doing ads in Facebook? We just had an interview with a high profile comic book artist in our niche and while I would hit our normal audience by sharing it in a number of groups, I wanted to see what effect boosting the post for a week with a $20 budget would have. As I was doing it they gave me a promotional $30 credit, so it's not going to cost a thing and I've upped it to a $30 budget.
I'm interested to see what happens. I targeted the top 7 countries based off our download stats:
  • United States
  • United Kingdom
  • Canada
  • Australia
  • Japan
  • Philippines
  • Ireland
  • Europe
and a number of interests I felt were relevant:
  • Comic book
  • Fun Publications
  • Lost Light
  • The Transformers (IDW Publishing)
  • The Transformers (Marvel Comics)
  • transformers
  • Transformers (comics)
  • Transformers (toy line)
  • Transformers: Generation 1
  • Comics
Any tips or things I should be looking out for?

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Re: Facebook promotion

Post by StephenJondrew » Wed May 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Unfortunately I'm not totally sure about what the best method of Facebook promotion is. I've been told before though that boosting posts aren't that effective, but I don't know the reason why. Sorry that I'm of little help here.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

yakko

Post by yakko » Wed May 03, 2017 3:26 pm

yeah, I've found that we got hits from the Philippines, Japan, and Mexico, but those accounts didn't look like they were really interested in our topics so I removed those countries and made a regular Facebook ad this morning that just goes to our website. In just a few hours we've had 10 people click the link (I'm tracking it through a Pretty Link URL). That might be the way to go instead. I'll have to see if our download numbers reflect a bump tomorrow.

All-in-all, not a bad experiment since it's not costing me anything!

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat May 06, 2017 9:01 am

yakko wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 3:26 pm
yeah, I've found that we got hits from the Philippines, Japan, and Mexico, but those accounts didn't look like they were really interested in our topics so I removed those countries and made a regular Facebook ad this morning that just goes to our website. In just a few hours we've had 10 people click the link (I'm tracking it through a Pretty Link URL). That might be the way to go instead. I'll have to see if our download numbers reflect a bump tomorrow.

All-in-all, not a bad experiment since it's not costing me anything!
How did the rest of the week go?
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

yakko

Post by yakko » Sat May 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Here's the final results:

Boosted post for an episode:
2,248 People Reached
518 Engagements
$20.00 Total Spend
12 link clicks
1 page like

General ad (target was a link to our website, not our FB page)
4,384 People Reached
$13.25 Total Spend
57 link clicks

The episode downloads and website traffic weren't significantly different than normal, so I don't think we'll go down this road again. It's good to finally know though, this has been something I've been wanting to try for a while.