using a Zoom H6 at a convention

Looking to get a podcast question answered? Whether it's find a solution to a problem or trying to figure out the best way to accomplish something, ask your question here. Please make sure to check the Tutorials, Guides and How Tos before asking your question.
yakko

using a Zoom H6 at a convention

Post by yakko » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:10 pm

I'm going to a convention in a couple weeks (actually next week, ack!). I plan on using my new H6 to record various things at the show. I obviously know what to do when we're recording with the XLR mics, but when I'm out and just using the Zoom, which of the two mics do you think would be best? I'm thinking about when we're just talking to people in the hallway or in the dealer room.

StargatePioneer

Re: using a Zoom H6 at a convention

Post by StargatePioneer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Actually a dynamic cardioid microphone just like you would use on your podcast would probably be best. Such a microphone like a Shure SM58 or the Sennheiser MD46 or even an ATR-2100 would probably get you better audio quality with a short XLR cord then the XY Mics or the Omni capsule that comes with the Zoom H6. But if I was choosing between the X-Y capsule and the Omni directional capsule I would go with the X-Y capsule personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

yakko

Post by yakko » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:26 pm

thanks! I'm bringing 4 XLR mics, 2 AT2005s and 2 Behringer XM8500s. I was just thinking if we had a number of people in a hallway and I wanted to quickly grab some audio. I'll have my backpack though, so I will probably always have at least 2 XLR mics with me.

I'm also planning on getting video and have discovered that I can't use the H6 as a USB audio device on my iPhone and record at the same time. I'm guessing the best thing to do is to record audio with the good mics to the H6, and then match it up with the audio captured by the phone? Are there any better options?

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:06 am

yakko wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:26 pm
thanks! I'm bringing 4 XLR mics, 2 AT2005s and 2 Behringer XM8500s. I was just thinking if we had a number of people in a hallway and I wanted to quickly grab some audio. I'll have my backpack though, so I will probably always have at least 2 XLR mics with me.

I'm also planning on getting video and have discovered that I can't use the H6 as a USB audio device on my iPhone and record at the same time. I'm guessing the best thing to do is to record audio with the good mics to the H6, and then match it up with the audio captured by the phone? Are there any better options?
When I was at Indiana Comic Con 2017 the recording was a bit robust for our panel. I added two Sennheiser MD46's to our panel table and ran those into my Zoom H6. I'll admit I stole this idea from Mike Rondeau from The Cantina Cast since I saw him doing something similar last year.

I was also able to tap into the panel room microphones (They were Shure SM58's) and threw them in another channel of the H6. I recorded with three cameras. I used an old iPhone 4s to capture the panel crowd and an old iPhone 5s as a second shot on the panel. The main panel shot was through a Canon Vixia HFR700 camcorder with a Zoom H5 mounted on a hotshoe. The Zoom H5 recorded audio through a Zoom SGH-6 shotgun microphone and was a backup to the table microphones. There was no way I was going to be able to pipe all that audio with multiple different recording devices throughout the room through to each camera. So yes, in post we are having to sync those audio and video tracks up in post.

Currently, I'm at the end life of using Corel VideoStudio X9 but I'm transitioning to Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14 for post video production (which happened to be pretty good at the audio side of things as well). Stephen's been using Vegas Movie Studio for a while now and as a one-time purchase option versus Adobe Premiere is the best bang for the hobbyist buck out there right now. Vegas does a really good job of syncing via being able to stretch the audio tracks to match the video recordings. That's my best recommendation I can throw at you right now.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

yakko

Post by yakko » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks for the advice. We're already planning on using my H6 and 4 mics as a backup for the panel audio, while someone else is going to try and get a feed from the room AV on his. I'll report back on how things go!

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:47 pm

yakko wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:12 am
Thanks for the advice. We're already planning on using my H6 and 4 mics as a backup for the panel audio, while someone else is going to try and get a feed from the room AV on his. I'll report back on how things go!
One think to consider would be a small shotgun microphone to attach/hotshoe to your phone. Rode makes from inexpensive shotgun microphones but in a crowded convention environment I'm not sure those smaller shotguns will be able to cut through the noise as well as a hand-held dynamic cardioid interview microphone.

yakko

Post by yakko » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:56 am

The Zoom worked great at the convention! We used a combination of the two capsules. When I was doing our panels and a group interview I used the omnidirectional capsule, and when I did some hallway interviews I used the other one. I'm very happy with the outcome, except for a few times where people had poor handheld mic technique.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Glad to hear this worked out!
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

Zandrax

Post by Zandrax » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Getting a Zoom device is probably next on my Gear List.

Johnny P

Post by Johnny P » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:39 pm

If you have several several different mics in your arsenal, before deciding which one to use, I'd test to see how each one handles "Handling noise". If you don't own the Sennheiser MD46 (which is made for it as are some others), the Shure SM58 is noted for low handling noise. With others mention in this thread: the ATR2100, AT2005, Behringer XM8500 and a slew of others you may have access to, I'd try a comparison test of those before your actual event. If not you might pick the better sounding mic, but pick up more handling noise than you bargained for.