For DBX286s users - what are your settings?

Loving your latest gear addition? Regretting your recent purchase? Post your Gear and Equipment review here (software reviews are also ok here too).
joshuacliston

For DBX286s users - what are your settings?

Post by joshuacliston » Tue May 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi all, I have been using a DBX286s for several years as a straight pre-amp and light gate, and have never really used the compressor, low/high detail or the DeEsser controls, but am thinking I might start using more of the features more often.

What are your settings currently and which mic are you using?

Thanks heaps.

PS. People share all kinds of exact settings in the guitar world, for amps and pedals etc. but not so much in the Pod-space, so let's start sharing :)

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Re: For DBX286s users - what are your settings?

Post by StephenJondrew » Thu May 31, 2018 1:25 am

I generally run my dbx with about +45 of gain, compressor drive and density at about 4.5. De esser is of and LF at 7 and hf at 2.5. Expander -30 and 5;1.

The Lf and hf vary depending on mic - but those are my baseline settings for my BP40
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:16 pm

StephenJondrew wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:25 am
I generally run my dbx with about +45 of gain, compressor drive and density at about 4.5. De esser is of and LF at 7 and hf at 2.5. Expander -30 and 5;1.

The Lf and hf vary depending on mic - but those are my baseline settings for my BP40
Thanks Stephen. I think I need to play a little more with the compressor on the DBX - I might start with your approx settings above and see how I go.

By mic I'm finding the following thus far on the DBX:
• Rode NTG-3 = LF 0.00 and HF 1.00
• Rode Broadcaster = LF 3.50 HF 1.50
• SM7B = LF 5.0 HF 4.00

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:10 am

So I was very happy with my run of using my dbx settings, but I've been having this urge lately to pull the insert from the dbx into a separate track on the L12 and just post process my audio instead of using the compression etc. For years this is what I did before the dbx - post processing enhancement only. I do like the dbx sounds, and am happy with my settings, but part of me is thinking maybe I should just go this way - the insert is post preamp
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast