Outboard Gear

Loving your latest gear addition? Regretting your recent purchase? Post your Gear and Equipment review here (software reviews are also ok here too).
BandrewSays

Outboard Gear

Post by BandrewSays » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:22 pm

For the longest time I fought outboard gear by thinking "I have all these effects in my DAW, why would I buy some outboard gear". However after hearing multiple podcasters rave about the DBX286s, I picked one up, and to me it made the world of difference from the plugin equivalents.

Most of my listeners likely won't notice much of a difference but it gives me a little bit of added pride in my audio quality.

I'd love to hear some of your suggestions for outboard gear that you use? What's your favorite compressor, noise gate, etc?
Podcastage, Owner / Host
Bandrew Says Podcast, Owner / Host
Geeks Rising, Founder / Editor-in-Chief

sunkast

Re: Outboard Gear

Post by sunkast » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:15 pm

A pre-amp is a good idea for any mic like the RE20 or SM7B that requires a lot of gain.
GFQ Network, Host/Producer

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Re: Outboard Gear

Post by StephenJondrew » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:40 am

BandrewSays wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:22 pm
For the longest time I fought outboard gear by thinking "I have all these effects in my DAW, why would I buy some outboard gear". However after hearing multiple podcasters rave about the DBX286s, I picked one up, and to me it made the world of difference from the plugin equivalents.

Most of my listeners likely won't notice much of a difference but it gives me a little bit of added pride in my audio quality.

I'd love to hear some of your suggestions for outboard gear that you use? What's your favorite compressor, noise gate, etc?
Bandrew & Jondrew both have drew in it, which is obviously why I had such a similar story to yours. I actually remember having this same sort of conversation with SP and then one day the DBX was placed in line, I couldn't believe the difference. The two biggest benefits I found was the pre-amp, but also the ability to adjust some of the settings when I hooked up a new mic that would usually lead me to having to record a sample, adjust plugins, repeat. It's nice to hear as I speak what needs to be adjusted for each mic.

One of the most surprising (but shouldn't have been) exciting additions I added as outboard gear was my Behringer MDX4600 4-channel compressor. For those not familiar, I do some live video shows where I pipe people in through different connections via Skype. Skype has a level of hiss in-line and so if I was doing a show with 3 others, it was HISS + HISS + HISS all compiled. The 4600 allowed me to clean up the live experience by gating each track.

I'm definitely an outboard gear fan, although I will admit as more pieces are added it seems to lessen the signal cleanliness to a degree.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast