Electro-Voice Ultimate Microphone Shoot Out

Loving your latest gear addition? Regretting your recent purchase? Post your Gear and Equipment review here (software reviews are also ok here too).
ScottSmith14

Electro-Voice Ultimate Microphone Shoot Out

Post by ScottSmith14 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:07 pm

I’ll be comparing three Electro-Voice microphone models. The RE-320 the RE-20 and the RE-27 N/D. With each microphone, I’ll give you a sample with no processing then added EQ and compression. I’ll be about 5 inches away from the microphone then 5 feet directly behind the microphone and finally just outside my studio with the doors closed to determine how much background noise these mics pick up. Settings will be the same for all three microphones with the exception of adding a little gain to the RE 20.
These are great microphones and I've used each one on our podcast before. Please feel free to express your opinion.
https://soundcloud.com/w-scott-smith-90 ... e-shootout
Attachments
EV now.jpeg
EV now.jpeg (51.67 KiB) Viewed 401 times

StargatePioneer

Re: Electro-Voice Ultimate Microphone Shoot Out

Post by StargatePioneer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Wow. Such an interesting comparison especially for your voice. I like the clarity and the rear rejection of the re320 but the re27 sound so full without compression or EQ. And the re20 isn't shabby either. I've long wanted to do this same test with my own voice. But since the re20 and the re27 are so expensive it is going to take me a couple of years to get there. None of these are bad microphones and I'm glad I have and use the re320. But if I was to have my pick of the three free of chrage right now? I'd go re27 all --- the --- way.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

Garth

Post by Garth » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:01 pm

Totally with SP on this. The 27 wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny P

Post by Johnny P » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:11 pm

I agree. The Re27 with your voice, with those settings and in that environment outshines the rest. It's so interesting that when you hear the same mics in other various tests, how the results will come out different. Thanks for the comparison test.