What industry notable equipment do you personally not care for?

Loving your latest gear addition? Regretting your recent purchase? Post your Gear and Equipment review here (software reviews are also ok here too).
StephenJondrew
Site Admin

What industry notable equipment do you personally not care for?

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 am

We all have opinions, and those opinions don't always line up. In podcasting we've got some pieces of gear that have become go-to recommendations.

Do you disagree with any of these recommendations? If so, what is your reasoning?

For example, the Heil PR-40 is a go to for many people. However, in my experience, it's amplifies the lower end too much. I think there are far better deals for the money. With the right voice, or the right EQ, it sounds good for some people. However, I just think it's overrated due to some notable names that have used it.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

StargatePioneer

Re: What industry notable equipment do you personally not care for?

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:12 pm

I’ve seen and heard many people recommend semi-open or open over the ear headphones like the AKG K240. However, in my experience they allow too much ambient sound in making it impossible to properly isolate monitoring audio. They also allow audio contamination if used while recording and there is a possibility to hear that audio feed back into the recording. Some podcasters enjoy the openness to reduce heat and hear room sounds They have also commented on their looks. However I think they are overrated because neither the design or the open ear cups allows the headphones to actually accomplish what you would wan to use them for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 am

I've never owned a pair myself but have considered them before -- until you did your test. Your logic makes so much sense, so now I have no desire to check any out. :)

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:17 pm

The most overhyped piece of Podcasting gear/service out there is probably Adobe Audition (unless you're also in Radio production) but personally I think the PR40 isn't worth the chrome it's painted in.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:20 pm

I used Audition for years - but not the subscription version. I really like the old 3 better than subscription, but do use it at work. With that said, after using Magix Movie Studio - I'd take that any day as my primary editor for audio. YES - I have to buy some VSTs to make up for some things that Audition has by default, but I just like the operation in Movie Studio better - even as an audio editor.

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:45 pm

StephenJondrew wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:20 pm
I used Audition for years - but not the subscription version. I really like the old 3 better than subscription, but do use it at work. With that said, after using Magix Movie Studio - I'd take that any day as my primary editor for audio. YES - I have to buy some VSTs to make up for some things that Audition has by default, but I just like the operation in Movie Studio better - even as an audio editor.
Yes, Audition is fantastic, but for a hobby or even semi-pro Podcaster, I feel it's overkill. Just imagine if your show lasted 5 years (2018-2023) and you had to pay monthly for Audition. For me, that would be $1739.40 (@$28.99 p/m AUD$) in today's non-adjusted-dollars (so no price increases and no inflation) for a product that can be mostly replicated with the Auphonic Desktop App ($80-$100), Audacity or GB (both free) or Logic ($299), and RX6 Elements. ($99 as at 2018 On-Sale price).

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:15 am

I've not used Auphonic or Logic so I can't comment on those, but I personally don't believe it's a the fairest comparison to compare it to Audacity. Audacity acts mostly as a destructive editor (although technically it doesn't change the original files but the way it edits does act that way), which is a completely different experience IMO than Audacity. In addition, the handling of Track Effects in Audacity is significantly lacking compared to a proper multi-track audio editor where the effects just lay on the track and are applied at export.

With all of that said, I'm not debating your point of overkill at all - I think Magix Movie Studio does 99% of what Audition does, and in my experience has very few issues as an audio-editor (as opposed to video where there are lots of bugs - like many video editors) - so I'll recommend that over Audition for anyone who doesn't already have the Adobe CC subscription - especially because you get a feature rich video editor alongside. :)