PreSonus StudioLive AR12 USB 14-Channel Mixer

Loving your latest gear addition? Regretting your recent purchase? Post your Gear and Equipment review here (software reviews are also ok here too).
ScottSmith14

PreSonus StudioLive AR12 USB 14-Channel Mixer

Post by ScottSmith14 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:45 pm

I know everybody loves Mackie mixers. However, I've been through two Mackie PROFX8V2 8-Channel Mixers. After about two months the channels would go bad one by one. The same exact thing happened to a friend of mine. Mackie honored the warranty but I would be without a mixer for 10 days waiting on a replacement. So I decided to give the PreSonus StudioLive AR12 USB 14-Channel Mixer a try. In a way it's overkill, I'll only use five channels at the most. It has a couple of really nice features that you don't see in a lot of mixers. First, it has a built-in ST card recorder. There's nothing fancy about this recorder, just reverse, forward, play/stop and record buttons. The quality of recordings has been great so far. The next feature I really like it is the Bluetooth capability. I can take a call on my cell phone or play a recording from my cell phone and it goes into the mix. Some of the reviewers don't like the flimsy feeling of the sliders. Yeah, they could be better but I can live with that. It came with Studio One Artist software which at a glance look pretty complicated so I never really tried it. I've been using this mixer for about four months now and so far I haven't had any problems.
Attachments
0 (6).jpeg
0 (6).jpeg (59.77 KiB) Viewed 1023 times

StargatePioneer

Re: PreSonus StudioLive AR12 USB 14-Channel Mixer

Post by StargatePioneer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:20 pm

ScottSmith14 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:45 pm
I know everybody loves Mackie mixers. However, I've been through two Mackie PROFX8V2 8-Channel Mixers. After about two months the channels would go bad one by one. The same exact thing happened to a friend of mine. Mackie honored the warranty but I would be without a mixer for 10 days waiting on a replacement. So I decided to give the PreSonus StudioLive AR12 USB 14-Channel Mixer a try. In a way it's overkill, I'll only use five channels at the most. It has a couple of really nice features that you don't see in a lot of mixers. First, it has a built-in ST card recorder. There's nothing fancy about this recorder, just reverse, forward, play/stop and record buttons. The quality of recordings has been great so far. The next feature I really like it is the Bluetooth capability. I can take a call on my cell phone or play a recording from my cell phone and it goes into the mix. Some of the reviewers don't like the flimsy feeling of the sliders. Yeah, they could be better but I can live with that. It came with Studio One Artist software which at a glance look pretty complicated so I never really tried it. I've been using this mixer for about four months now and so far I haven't had any problems.
Great review Scott! Please keep me updated on how it is fairing long term and how you are liking the features. I never know when I'll have to unexpectedly upgrade o replace my gear!
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:50 am

ScottSmith14 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:45 pm

Oh that's fantastic - some great build in features. So nice to see the next evolution of audio mixers - I may have to start researching them more. Sorry to hear about your experience with Mackie - it's very frustrating to have mixers go out routinely.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

Jason Bryant

Post by Jason Bryant » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:13 am

Does this one record into Audition multichannel? Does the SD card record multichannel or just stereo? This might be a middle ground option for what I want to deploy with my studio.
Founder, Mat Talk Podcast Network
www.mattalkonline.com

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:20 am

Jason Bryant wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:13 am
Does this one record into Audition multichannel? Does the SD card record multichannel or just stereo? This might be a middle ground option for what I want to deploy with my studio.
I got looking at this mixer last night before bed and that was one of the things I looked in to. It appears that to a computer it'll record every channel PLUS the main mix, and then SD will just do the two-channel mix.

Recording Options
14x4 24-bit/96 kHz, USB 2.0 audio recording interface
Record every channel plus the main mix
2x2 SD recorder
Record main mix
Supports SD™ and SDHC™ formats up to 32 GB

From: http://www.presonus.com/products/Studio ... B/features

Jason Bryant

Post by Jason Bryant » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:36 am

how many AUX sends do you see? i can't really tell on this image. Need 1-2 mix minuses.
www.mattalkonline.com

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Admittedly I was too lazy to go to the manual and confirm but I found this. It appears to be 2 Aux on all channels and and FX up to channel 11/12.

Jason Bryant

Post by Jason Bryant » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:22 pm

What's got me interested in this is that bluetooth channel -- if you've got a good cell signal, boom, additional call in line with no extra software.
www.mattalkonline.com

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Jason Bryant wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:22 pm
What's got me interested in this is that bluetooth channel -- if you've got a good cell signal, boom, additional call in line with no extra software.
Me too! I recognize that in the next couple years I'll likely have to upgrade my mixer and I had no idea this thing exists. I might have to put it on my wish-list for the next mixer.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:44 am

I've been thinking about this mixer a lot lately. I do like the Bluetooth capability and the on-board recording capability as a back-up. But the mixer will only record the main mix and there is a limited capability to perform a mix-minus: only 2 inserts, 3 aux outputs but no subgroups, and only 8 XLR channels. Based on that I still lean towards a Mackie ProFX16v2 (which you can get on sale for $330 at times via Slickdeals announcements) and a Zoom H6. Heck, even that Behinger X2442USB seems to be a better option at only $325 and I am known not to recommend Behringer products. The Presonus AR12 is currently going for $499.

However, I am hopeful that in the next couple of years we see the next evolution in mixers. With USB 3.0 we could get commonly available multi-track recording to a DAW from a USB small format mixer or even get lower priced higher quality multi-track capable digital audio interface. Adding in Bluetooth to either of those USB 3.0 capabilities and include an on-board multi-track recording capability and you'd have any audio solution available to you in your home studio that the pros can utilize today. In fact I'm going to create an audio interface thread to discuss that portion of the equation.....
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com