PreSonus StudioLive AR12 USB 14-Channel Mixer

Loving your latest gear addition? Regretting your recent purchase? Post your Gear and Equipment review here (software reviews are also ok here too).
StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Re: PreSonus StudioLive AR12 USB 14-Channel Mixer

Post by StephenJondrew » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:02 am

Scott, can you confirm about the USB limitations SP is speaking above? From the manual it appears that it does multi channel via USB but only 2 for SD card. Is this misleading information?
Recording Options
14x4 24-bit/96 kHz, USB 2.0 audio recording interface
Record every channel plus the main mix
2x2 SD recorder
Record main mix
Supports SD™ and SDHC™ formats up to 32 GB

Also I think it's important to note that one of the reasons that Scott went this way was poor experience in the past with Mackie. Personally I'd probably so the same if I was burned by a brand more than a couple times.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

ScottSmith14

Post by ScottSmith14 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:17 pm

It's possible I am a bit over my head here. I did a quick experiment. From my computer, I recorded Skype, iTunes, and two YouTube videos. I also recorded eight XLR microphones and my phone over Bluetooth all at the same time. I put it into Audacity and everything got recorded on a single track. I'm not sure if that was exactly what you're looking for.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks for letting us know - I was actually curious if there is a way to multi-track record. The article speaks about "Record every channel plus the main mix" which to me seems a bit misleading if it doesn't have this function as it should just say "Record the main mix" or "record every channel OR the main mix" - plus the 14x4 specifications. However, I do think that if it were to do it, it would have to be in something other than audacity.

I'll have to research a bit more - I'm curious about knowing that functionality since it seems to indicate multi-track, but I'd like to know if that's an error / misleading info.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:32 pm

Here's what I just dug up. While I didn't think this was possibly on USB 2.0 - it does appear this will do multi-track recording via StudioLive.

From the brochure (http://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.co ... ochure.pdf)

Naturally, you want to record your gigs, as well as produce studio projects, podcasts, and so on. That’s why StudioLive AR USB mixers are equipped with a multi-channel USB 2.0 recording interface and come with Capture™ multitrack recording software and our powerful, yet easy-to-use Studio One® 3 Artist musicproduction software (DAW).

Every StudioLive AR USB mixer lets you record every channel individually, plus the main mix—all with professional, 24-bit, 96 kHz quality. Best of all, it’s easy to do! Simply connect your StudioLive AR USB mixer to a Mac or Windows PC and use Capture to record all
input channels plus the main mix. Then open your Capture session in Studio One to edit, sweeten, overdub, and mix your tracks.

ScottSmith14

Post by ScottSmith14 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 pm

So you can do multi-track recording via StudioLive. I took a brief look into StudioLive when I first got the mixer. It looked pretty complicated compared Audacity but now I may have to take a second look at it. Thanks!

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:23 am

Please keep us informed as if it works well, I think there would be many people who might be interested.

Jason Bryant

Post by Jason Bryant » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:43 am

Anything new on this?
Founder, Mat Talk Podcast Network
www.mattalkonline.com