Multi-track Multi-channel Capable Digital Audio Interfaces

Loving your latest gear addition? Regretting your recent purchase? Post your Gear and Equipment review here (software reviews are also ok here too).
StargatePioneer

Multi-track Multi-channel Capable Digital Audio Interfaces

Post by StargatePioneer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:57 am

Most low-budget hobby podcasters have been using USB enabled mixers for the past 5 years or so to mix-minus and multi-track. USB mixers are the next-generation outgrowth from the $2,000+ Firewire enabled mixers in the previous generation that had multi-track enabled recording capability with the right software. Unfortunately this capability was lost once USB 2.0 technology was embraced by the mixer manufacturers. Granted this is a more advanced skill not recommended for the beginner but it is well within the scope of do-ability for all podcasters given a little time, trial and error, and some additional cash.

However, the next generation of sound mixing devices are starting to emerge. The Behringer UFX series of mixers were the first example that I can think of but now Presonus has entered the ring with the AR mixing series. But more importantly Behringer has upped their game with the UMC404HD Audio Interface. Ultimately if I had the cash I might throw in with an Apollo 8 but it also comes with a non USB interface in the Thunderbolt. which is beyond me at this point.

What I'm looking for is the ability to perform a mix-minus and muti-track record throw digital interfaces to simplify the tech for home users. Is anyone using a multi-track capable audio interface at home and how do you record the tracks if you do? I'd be interested to hear your experiences.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com