AKG K52 Headphones

Loving your latest gear addition? Regretting your recent purchase? Post your Gear and Equipment review here (software reviews are also ok here too).
ScottSmith14

AKG K52 Headphones

Post by ScottSmith14 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Not all podcasters are audiophiles. I did a very quick unscientific poll of podcasters within my niche. I asked them what headphones they use to monitor their podcast. Almost all of them said something like Apple earbuds or an old cheap set they've had forever. They had the attitude that high-end headphones wouldn't improve their podcasts. When I first got into podcasting I used a set of headphones that came free with the purchase of a shirt from target. You can imagine the quality with those.
A couple of weeks ago I ran across these AKG K52s at Guitar Center for only $29. I am digging these headphones!
Comfort: These are the lightest most comfortable headphones I own. I can wear these headphones for hours and not feel any discomfort at all. They weight only 200g. The Audio Technica M50 weighs 284g.
Sound: For podcasting, these won't beat my Sony MDR 7506s. However, they are far better than Apple earbuds or really cheap headphones. With music, it lacks a little bit on the bass side but the mids and treble and spot on. I use these for my gym headphones and to me, the music sounds great. Yeah I know, someone with a trained ear may laugh at them. I don't have a trained ear and they cost $29.
Build quality: You're not buying a family heirloom for $29. That being said they really don't feel cheap at all. Yeah, the padding is “want to be leather” but it's comfortable and that's the main thing.
So for podcasting or music, the sound is way better than Apple earbuds or cheapos. Did I mention they only cost 29 bucks?
Attachments
0 (9).jpeg
0 (9).jpeg (63.74 KiB) Viewed 585 times
0 (8).jpeg
0 (8).jpeg (59.81 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Jason Bryant

Re: AKG K52 Headphones

Post by Jason Bryant » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:50 pm

I like AKG. I've had two different models and they hold sound really well.
Founder, Mat Talk Podcast Network
www.mattalkonline.com

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:22 am

Damn, I'll have to check these out - might be good for my travel bag or something! Thanks for the info, Scott.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:25 am

Thanks for the tip Scott! How is the sound isolation with them? In a noisy room can you hear what you are monitoring clearly or is it muddled. The $20 Sennheiser HD201 are what I started with and sounded fine but I couldn't hear anything even at home with noise right next to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

ScottSmith14

Post by ScottSmith14 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:39 am

"How is the sound isolation with them? In a noisy room can you hear what you are monitoring clearly or is it muddled."

I want to say the isolation wasn't great but good enough. Listening to music or podcasts in the gym Isn't a problem. Definitely not muddled.