MXL V67G HE Large Capsule Condenser Microphone

Loving your latest gear addition? Regretting your recent purchase? Post your Gear and Equipment review here (software reviews are also ok here too).
ScottSmith14

MXL V67G HE Large Capsule Condenser Microphone

Post by ScottSmith14 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:32 pm

I have, at least briefly, crossed over to the dark side and decided to try out a condenser microphone. But why? I get a fair amount of compliments on my RE 20 microphone. I asked podcasters within my niche what sort of microphones they use. A surprisingly large percentage said condenser microphones. They all said the same thing “I like the way it makes my voice sound.” So I did some research, watched a lot of YouTube reviews, to include Bandrew Scott’s Podcastage reviews. I decided to order the MXL V67G HE Heritage Edition Large Capsule Condenser Microphone from Amazon for $119.
First of all, it looks really nice, it's shiny! It comes with a shock mount, pop filter and, for some reason, a silver medal briefcase suitable for caring launch codes.
It sounds great. With both the RE 20 and the MXL V67G HE totally flat, the MXL is much better. Adding EQ and compression, the MXL is a little bit richer than the RE 20. I'm not sure if warmer is the right word? Maybe? Nothing to really get excited about. I doubt if any of our listeners are going to say “wait, that sounds like a condenser microphone I'm telling everybody I know about this podcast.” I do have a treated room so reverb wasn't a problem. It is pretty sensitive. I can turn up the gain, get close to it, open my mouth and hear my internal organs working. I should probably get a check up soon.
Bottom line, while I can't speak for every condenser microphone on Amazon, you’re probably better off sticking with your dynamic microphone.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178 ... UTF8&psc=1

StargatePioneer

Re: MXL V67G HE Large Capsule Condenser Microphone

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat May 06, 2017 9:12 am

ScottSmith14 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:32 pm
Bottom line, while I can't speak for every condenser microphone on Amazon, you’re probably better off sticking with your dynamic microphone.
I've reviewed enough podcasts that use condenser microphones to know that it isn't a great idea if you do not have a treated sound studio. Large diameter dynamic cardioid broadcast microphones are just as affordable and give way better results for way less cost.

Thanks for taking the time to go down this road though. It only continues to confirm my analysis. Everyone that has tried a condenser microphone that I know recently (and there have been several actually) either comes to the same conclusion or deludes themselves into the fact that it sounds okay in their un-treated environment based on money spent or a general seen of ill placed defiance. I'm glad that you were not one of the later two. =)
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

UsamaBinLaden

Re: MXL V67G HE Large Capsule Condenser Microphone

Post by UsamaBinLaden » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:17 am

StargatePioneer wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 9:12 am
ScottSmith14 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:32 pm
I've reviewed enough podcasts that use condenser microphones to know that it isn't a great idea if you do not have a treated sound studio. Large diameter dynamic cardioid broadcast microphones are just as affordable and give way better results for way less cost.

Thanks for taking the time to go down this road though. It only continues to confirm my analysis. Everyone that has tried a condenser microphone that I know recently (and there have been several actually) either comes to the same conclusion or deludes themselves into the fact that it sounds okay in their un-treated environment based on money spent or a general seen of ill placed defiance. I'm glad that you were not one of the later two. =)
Nice post dear, Thanks for taking the time to go down this road though. It only continues to confirm my analysis.