The Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphones

Loving your latest gear addition? Regretting your recent purchase? Post your Gear and Equipment review here (software reviews are also ok here too).
ScottSmith14

The Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphones

Post by ScottSmith14 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:42 pm

These Sony MDR7506s are at the top, or near the top, of everyone's list of studio monitoring headphones. These were my first "high-end" headphones. Before these, I used a set of headphones that came free with the purchase of a shirt from Kohls.
Build quality:
These aren't built like a tank but If you don't throw them at your co-host they'll probably last a long time. The headband is metal which you can bend to adjust the clamping force. (Do that at your own risk and don't bend if your headphones have a plastic headband.)
Comfort:
A lot of people really think these headphones are comfortable. To me, out-of-the-box, these are not comfortable at all. To be fair I have a pretty big noggin and oddly shaped ears. So if you have a normal size noggin and normal shaped ears you may love them. I bent the headband so it would make contact on two places on my head instead of one. I upgraded the ear pads with Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam Earpads. With the bending of the headband and the earpad upgrades, they are now very comfortable.
Sound:
Studio monitoring headphones are supposed to be flat/neutral which means the audio is not manipulated such is adding more bass. These cans are just that. What sets the MDR 7506s apart from the other monitoring headphones is the brightness. When editing your podcast you're much more likely to catch any unwanted sounds like mouse clicks or chair squeaks with these MDR 7506s than with Apple earbuds, computer speakers, headphones designed for music etc. Most people, to include me, don't like the way music sounds with these cans because they are way too bright. But for recording and editing the podcast, in my opinion, there's nothing better.
Pros:
The cost is only $89 from Amazon.
Great sound quality for editing and recording.
Cons:
The cord is non-detachable.
Not design for music.
Minimum isolation.
Attachments
0 (13).jpeg
0 (13).jpeg (63.1 KiB) Viewed 440 times

StargatePioneer

Re: The Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphones

Post by StargatePioneer » Sun May 28, 2017 11:13 pm

These were the first true studio monitoring headphones I purchased and they remain in use in my podspace today. They run a bit warmer and heavier than newer designs but I know I'd definitely buy a pair of these again given the choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Re: The Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphones

Post by StephenJondrew » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:02 am

These rarely come on sale up here but they are definitely on my list to try one day. I love me Shure 440s more than my AT 40s, but I'd love to know how both stack up to these. Thanks for the review!
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast