Sennheiser MD 46 cardioid interview microphone

Loving your latest gear addition? Regretting your recent purchase? Post your Gear and Equipment review here (software reviews are also ok here too).
ScottSmith14

Sennheiser MD 46 cardioid interview microphone

Post by ScottSmith14 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:24 pm

I was perfectly happy with my four Shure PGA 48s (34USD) field mics which in my opinion sound exactly like the like the Shure SM 58 (100USD), but Stephen and SP just had to talk about the Sennheiser MD 46 (200USD) on an episode a while back.
The MD 46 looks more professional than the PGA 48. It looks like a microphone that a reporter would use. It's made in Germany which is very unusual for audio equipment.
I compared flat recordings I made with the MD 48 and the PGA 48. The microphones were very similar but the MD 46 was a little clearer and crisper. The PGA 48 had more line noise. Both required the same amount of gain. Both reduced background noise equally well.
When I made recordings with both microphones using compression and EQ the results were closer. Really pretty hard to tell the difference with compression and EQ. The line noise with the PGA 48 is easily reduced with noise reduction in post.
So the Sennheiser MD 46 is a very nice sounding AND nice looking microphone. It also looks very nice with a mic flag. It would be great for someone who wants their studio mic to double is a field mic. I better not see any microphone drops with this one guys.
Attachments
IMG_5895.JPG
IMG_5895.JPG (2.67 MiB) Viewed 742 times

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Re: Sennheiser MD 46 cardioid interview microphone

Post by StephenJondrew » Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 am

That's awesome you bought one and that you were happy with the results. Any chance you care to share the samples? :)

As for Mic Drops.. anything is possible. :P
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Thu May 25, 2017 3:15 pm

One thing to note about the Sennheiser MD46 is that the audio pickup pattern is basically super cardioid or hyper cardioid in nature. That means if you move your mouth away from it just a little bit that the recording level will suffer. But it also means that the microphone picks up less of the background noise which makes it ideal for sideline sport casters and on the street interviews. In the studio it would mean picking up less ambient noise and room echo. Until recently the MD46 was unique. Most other long stemmed interview microphones were condenser microphones or had Omni direction audio pick patterns to better capture the interviewee. However, Audio Technica unveiled its BP4001 and looks to be the first real competitor I've seen with the Sennheiser MD46. I'm interested to see a comparison between the two especially given the BP4001 goes for $20 less than the MD46. As for a podcasting pedigree? The Sennheiser MD46 is the microphone Grammar Girl uses. And whom can argue with her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:31 pm

I have two MD 46's in my arsenal these days, and I've found them to be pretty solid in-studio, and incredibly solid outside the studio.

Pros.
• The long stem makes it ideal for extended hand-held recording sessions
• The mic looks fantastic, and is nicely weighted across the length of the mic
• The sound is incredibly tight and clear, yet sounds smoother in the 4-6K range than my PR40 (although that could just be me, as I really dislike my PR40!!!)
• The pick-up pattern does a great job of minimizing background noise and focusing in on the voice

Cons
• The sound may be seen as too thin for pure studio users - as the MD 46 offers little in the way of added Boom & Sizzle
• Complete novices may find the pick-up pattern tough to start with, as the mic level drops off very quickly if you fail to address the mic correctly
• The big ass/highly visible Sennheiser logo on the side of the mic may cause issues for some users when when on video

A little extra Podcasting cred: the MD46 gets a run in several episodes of Game Changers Radio (a popular Australian podcast feat. former and current Radio hosts from AUS and the UK)

ScottSmith14

Post by ScottSmith14 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:50 pm

So far I really love this microphone for on the road interviews.
But I can think of two more cons:
The case, while offering plenty of protection, is a little bit awkward. It could've been configured to hold a small cable and or a small mic stand.
The $200 dollar price tag. You could almost purchase six Shure PGA 48s. Or one million shares of SoundCloud stock.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:33 am

ScottSmith14 wrote:So far I really love this microphone for on the road interviews.
But I can think of two more cons:
The case, while offering plenty of protection, is a little bit awkward. It could've been configured to hold a small cable and or a small mic stand.
The $200 dollar price tag. You could almost purchase six Shure PGA 48s. Or one million shares of SoundCloud stock.
One of my used MD-46's came without the case I bought the Sennheiser lined pouch for the MD-46/MD-42 and it works great while taking up significantly less space. I still prefect the hard cases but if space usage is on your mind you mind want to try the pouch instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com