Earbuds

Wondering if that potential purchase will do what you think it'll do? Hoping someone has a solution to that wiring idea you have. Ask and discuss here. Please consult the Gear and Equipment Reviews board instead of asking "what is your favorite" style topics.
zacharywebb

Re: Earbuds

Post by zacharywebb » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:42 pm

Garth wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:41 am
One good thing to be said about using Apple EarPods is that a huge percentage of our audiences will be using them to listen to our shows. Ideally you would want to listen and edit to your podcast on better speakers/headphones for reference, but definitely worth using them as they are undoubtedly the most prevalent single way of listening
I would be using my Sony MDR-ZX100 can headphones for editing, but earbuds for listening to podcasts and for monitoring audio during episode recordings.
- Zachary Webb -
Podcaster at Serious About Tech! - Freelance Web Developer at WebbCo.us
Follower of Jesus Christ

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Garth wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:41 am
One good thing to be said about using Apple AirPods is that a huge percentage of our audiences will be using them to listen to our shows. Ideally you would want to listen and edit to your podcast on better speakers/headphones for reference, but definitely worth using them as they are undoubtedly the most prevalent single way of listening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While this is true a fair amount of listeners also listen in their cars. modern cars have amazing sound systems that really bring out the bass even at neutral settings. So while your statement is true and given lack of funds for Studio Monitor Speakers or Studio Monitoring headphones the Apple Earbuds are a good litmus test I wouldn't rely solely on the outcome. Given the opportunity I would also attempt to listen to your productions in a variety of different environments and on different systems to ensure background noise levels and equalization are as good as you can make them for your entire listener base. One thing Stephen and my cohost Sean told me early on was to listen to the final product in my car, on my stereo, on computer speakers, on my phone speaker, etc so that I wasn't getting anything massively wrong. Then proceed to keep those settings on future projects and re-evaluation once in a while.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:27 am

I know this is completely off base from the original $10 budget, but I will say that after using my Shure SE215s for a year, I think they're a great balance of comfort, price and sound. You're not getting headphone level quality, but from a recording week-to-week perspective, I've been very happy with them.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast