Field Recording

Wondering if that potential purchase will do what you think it'll do? Hoping someone has a solution to that wiring idea you have. Ask and discuss here. Please consult the Gear and Equipment Reviews board instead of asking "what is your favorite" style topics.
Frozt

Field Recording

Post by Frozt » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:07 am

Hey y'all. I'd like everyone's input because I'm thinking of getting a Zoom H1 for doing field recording, like interviews outside of my "home studio" (that means outside of my current bedroom). I am on a bit of a budget which is why I'm seriously considering the H1. The other one I considered (vs all the cheap ones from the 80's/90's college recorders) was the Tascam DR05.
Suggestions?Idea's? input would be greatly valued.

Thanks y'all
Host of ChatNShat

StargatePioneer

Re: Field Recording

Post by StargatePioneer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:56 pm

We have a few people with them on the GonnaGeek network. Nearly all of them have ended up upgrading to the Zoom H5 because you can plug a normal XLR microphone into them. In fact Lauren was able to grab this interview due to her Zoom H5 and an Audio Technica AT2005: https://youtu.be/uGIu8W7q3XA

Out of the two (H1 and DR-05) I'd lean towards the H1 personally. The menu structure ont he DR-05 was a bit difficult for me to set. But I haven't actually operated a H1. I know Stephen has though. Maybe he has some insights. He's one of the folks that upgraded. But he upgraded to a Zoom H6 instead of a Zoom H5.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:46 pm

Interestingly enough I was talking to Daniel J Lewis and he mentioned that he used an H1 at the last NAB conference to get interviews on the floor. The way he did it was interesting. He used a Shure SM7B windscreen and covered the main body with a mic flag so it looked like a wireless hand held microphone. He said it worked pretty good that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:36 pm

After several mic and recorder changes over the past 6years, I've settled on the following for field recordings:

• 2 * Sennheiser MD46 mics >>> Zoom H5 recorder (44100 16bit .wav)

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:19 am

joshuacliston wrote:After several mic and recorder changes over the past 6years, I've settled on the following for field recordings:

• 2 * Sennheiser MD46 mics >>> Zoom H5 recorder (44100 16bit .wav)
Great choice in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

yakko

Post by yakko » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:50 am

Another option if you need to save a little money, but it's a bit more clunky, is the iRig Pre. It lets you use an XLR mic on your phone, and works great. But as I said, it is a bit clunky. After using both this and a recorder, I'd say go for the recorder if you have the money.