YOUR Gear

Wondering if that potential purchase will do what you think it'll do? Hoping someone has a solution to that wiring idea you have. Ask and discuss here. Please consult the Gear and Equipment Reviews board instead of asking "what is your favorite" style topics.
Zandrax

YOUR Gear

Post by Zandrax » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:59 pm

What is your setup?

Mine is simple, and I think it shows in the sound quality, but overall I'm happy

AudioTechnica AT2005 microphone plugged directly into USB
Musician's Gear MGTBS mic stand
Shure SRH240A Headphones
Recording done via VoiceMeeter Banana virtual mixer
Android Phone with a soundboard app plugged into Voicemeeter for intros, outros, sports, and gags.
Last edited by Zandrax on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Re: YOUR Gear

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:39 am

It seems fitting that my post would follow yours as it's basically the opposite... grab a cup of coffee if you're ready to read through the following. Also, I've attached a photo below for reference, which is a bit out of date now.

Preface
I currently do two shows which have video companions and are streamed live during recording (usually). I want to be able to multi-track each participant so I built a bit of a "Skypeasaurus" where I can run concurrent Skype connections, bringing in each participant.

ALSO, WHENEVER I SPEAK ABOUT MY HARDWARE I ALWAYS LIKE TO SPECIFY (ESPECIALLY IN EXCESSIVE CAPS LOCK) THAT WHAT I HAVE IS NOT NECESSARY. VIDEO AND PODCASTING HAS BEEN A HOBBY OF MINE FOR A VERY, VERY LONG TIME. IN TURN, THIS HAS BEEN YEARS OF SLOW BUILD UP THROUGH A COMBINATION OF PURCHASES AND GIFTS. YOU ONLY NEED WHAT THE ABOVE POSTER HAS - THAT'S ALL YOU NEED. AND BONUS BY GOING THAT WAY IS LESS CHANCE OF PROBLEMS THAN MY SETUP.

Ok, let's continue...

Primary Microphone
- Audio-Technica BP40
- Heil PL2T Microphone stand

Audio Mixer
- Behringer X1622USB

Audio Monitoring
- Shure SRH440 Headphones
- Shure SE215 In Ear Monitors
- Behringer HA400 Headphone Amplifier

Hardware Recorder
- Zoom H6
- Zoom EXH-6 XLR Capsule

Outboard Hardware/Rack Gear
- DBX 286S Preamp
- Behringer MDX4600
- Behringer MDX2600
- MicroH PS-800 8 Port Switcher

Audio-Related PC Components
- Behringer UCA222 Audio Soundcard
- Soundblaster Audigy Soundcard
- Asus Xonar DG Soundcard
- Realtek (Onboard) Soundcard
- EC Technology Aluminum Mini USB Sound Adapter

Misc Information/Other
- DIY Riser built to raise the Heil PL2T
- DIY Rack Boxes built for Rack Gear
- IPAD 1 Used as a Sound Cart
- 8+ Ground Loop Isolators (I lost count)

Video Elements
- Logitech C922 Webcam
- Logitech C920 Webcam
- Custom Built Video Backdrop
- 2 x Remote Operated Color-Changing Bulbs
- 2 x Continuous Lighting Kit with 4-Socket Light Heads (not shown in the pictures currently)
- Wink Controlled Lights: 4

Primary Software
- Xsplit
- Manycam
- Magix Movie Studio (recently replaced my use of Cyberlink)
- Audacity

Audio Chain
- The Microphone goes in to the DBX286 which then goes in to the MDX2600
- The MDX2600 has two outputs for each channel. One channel goes directly to a channel on the Zoom H6, the other channel goes to Channel 1 of the X1622USB
- (Aside from the UCA222), each sound card is assigned to be a certain connection skype (for example Skype 1, Skype 2, etc)
- The Audigy Sound Card goes to Ch 1 of MDX4600 (via a Ground Loop Isolator)
- The Xonar Sound Card goes to Ch 2 of MDX4600 (via a Ground Loop Isolator)
- The Realtek (Onboard) Sound Card goes to Ch 3 of MDX4600 (via a Ground Loop Isolator)
- The EC Tech Sound Card goes to Ch 4 of MDX4600 (via a Ground Loop Isolator)
- Each Channel of the MDX4600 Compressor has two outputs.
- One of each channel goes to corresponding inputs of the Zoom H6 Recorder. The other output of each channel goes to a coressponding channel on the Behringer X1622USB
- The X1622USB Mixer does the mix/minus to be able to combine the audio and send back to the participants MINUSING the participant (ie. stops them from hearing echo)
- The return lines are each seperately sent back to the appropriate corresponding sound cards (via Ground Loop Isolators)
- The iPad goes through a 3.5mm to x 1/4 TS Cable. One half goes to the X1622USB, the other goes to a channel on the Zoom H6.

Misc Chain Pieces Seen In Photo
- The Behringer MiniMic800 gets dusted off and used if I want to hook someone up in studio (ie. primarily doing a "podcast" with my son)
- The Cakewalk FA66 is not in use but was my primary recording interface for a long time
Attachments
mysetup1.jpg
mysetup1.jpg (384.87 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

Zandrax

Post by Zandrax » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:32 pm

To be honest, the thread was inspired by your early shows where you and SP go over your gear. :mrgreen:

I have gotten compliments on my shows' sound quality, so I'm living proof that you can have good sound quality just by plugging a decent USB mic into a computer.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:38 pm

Zandrax wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:32 pm
To be honest, the thread was inspired by your early shows where you and SP go over your gear. :mrgreen:

I have gotten compliments on my shows' sound quality, so I'm living proof that you can have good sound quality just by plugging a decent USB mic into a computer.
Awesome to hear. We're always a little cautious when discussing gear, recognizing not only might it send the wrong message, but some people may not want gear talk. BUT - it seems we get lots of positive when we do, so maybe we'll have to more.

Thanks for coming to the forum, and thanks for making this thread.

Johnny P

Post by Johnny P » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:55 pm

I enjoyed Stephen's gear list, but was even more happy to see a photo of his setup. The reason for that is that I'm currently building 2 gear racks to slide under each side of a hutch that I have on my workstation. They will be 5 rack units each. It will be a while before I can fill them both, but I eventually plan to, so I want to get them both out of the way at the same time. 5 units is not the usual rack size, but they will work nicely under that area. I have an old large metal rack, but it has all open sides and dust can really be a problem. I actually cut into the pair of Middle Atlantic Products 10 unit rack rails today (5 unit rails are hard to find). I ordered them from Guitar Center and picked them up Thursday. I filed the cut ends down & painted the cut area and they are now ready to go. I plan on buying my solid wood tomorrow. My wife didn't quite understand exactly what I planned on building until I showed her Stephen's racks in his photo. I seriously thought about staining them, but Stephen's looked good in their natural wood, so I believe that I'll save a few more dollar's and a lot of time, and just do the same. I paid $24.00 for the 2 rack rails and then cut them to 4 for your cost analysis. I'm not posting the equipment I have because I'm still getting my gear together to start my podcast. Thank, Johnny P.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:35 am

Johnny P wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:55 pm
I enjoyed Stephen's gear list, but was even more happy to see a photo of his setup. The reason for that is that I'm currently building 2 gear racks to slide under each side of a hutch that I have on my workstation. They will be 5 rack units each. It will be a while before I can fill them both, but I eventually plan to, so I want to get them both out of the way at the same time. 5 units is not the usual rack size, but they will work nicely under that area. I have an old large metal rack, but it has all open sides and dust can really be a problem. I actually cut into the pair of Middle Atlantic Products 10 unit rack rails today (5 unit rails are hard to find). I ordered them from Guitar Center and picked them up Thursday. I filed the cut ends down & painted the cut area and they are now ready to go. I plan on buying my solid wood tomorrow. My wife didn't quite understand exactly what I planned on building until I showed her Stephen's racks in his photo. I seriously thought about staining them, but Stephen's looked good in their natural wood, so I believe that I'll save a few more dollar's and a lot of time, and just do the same. I paid $24.00 for the 2 rack rails and then cut them to 4 for your cost analysis. I'm not posting the equipment I have because I'm still getting my gear together to start my podcast. Thank, Johnny P.
I distinctly remember telling Stephen he should stain his racks from the beginning but he didn't have the time. Which was a good thing because then he bought a new desk in a different color so the stain would have been a mis-match. Score another one for Stephen being right and SP being wrong.

Good luck with your setup! Let us know when it starts to come together. I wish I had room below my desk for a rack but I don't.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:22 pm

I do several shows so gear changes a little for each show.

**note several pieces of gear are left over from being in bands for 15+years incl. Shure SM7B, SM58's, R-05 Recorder and the Mackie Mixer**

Gear used on every episode. [**updated 20180627 - iZotope RX6]
• iMac
• Sony MDR 7506 / Fostex studio monitors
• DAW - Audacity
• Auphonic desktop App for Mac
• Sometimes used - Roland R-05 and Mackie Onyx 12 channel mixer.

Skype Interviews (Home Studio). [**updated 20180627 - Rode Broadcaster replaced Heil PR40]
• Mic - Heil PR40 (I would love to use the RODE NTG-3 for interviews, but it takes some concentration to use correctly and my brain often wonders off during interviews, so the HEIL is more forgiving on my bad mic technique, ha).
• Heil PL2T stand
• Interface - Scarlett 2i4
• Pre - DBX286s >>> USB
• DAW - Audacity on Mac
• Post - as per above

Solo Episodes and V/O segments [**updated 20180627 - iZotope RX6]
• RØDE NTG-3
• Heil PL2T
• Interface - Scarlett 2i4
• Pre - DBX286s >>> USB
• DAW - Audacity on Mac
• Post-prod - as per above

Out and About (incl. multi-person person interviews and outside solo recordings). [**updated 20180627 - Sennheiser MD46 replaced all mics + Sound Devices MixPre-6 replaced Zoom H5]
• Shure SM7B (handheld) primary
• 2 * Shure SM58's (handheld)
• CL-1 Cloudlifter
• Zoom H5
• Audacity >>> Post-prod

Last edited by joshuacliston on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottSmith14

Post by ScottSmith14 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:36 pm

The chain:
I use the RE 20 with a BSW REPOP pop filter.
On the back of the microphone, I have a Triton Audio Fethead Preamp.
From there it's the Presonus Studio Channel Tube Preamp which provides a little compression and I have the EQ flat.
Next is the dbx 131s graphic equalizer which boosts the treble, backs off the meds and a gives a slight boost with the base.
And finally, I have a Presonus Stuiolive AR12 mixer with the EQ flat.

Other stuff:
Monitoring Headphones: Sony MDR 7506
Guest Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm / Sennheiser HD 280 pro
Guest Microphones: REE 320 with a BSW REPOP pop filter / Rode Procaster
2x Cloudlifter preamp
AKG HP4E - 4-channel Headphone Amp
RODE PSA1 Swivel Mount Studio Microphone Boom Arm
Pyle PMKSH04 Suspension Boom Scissor Microphone Stand
2X Electro-Voice 309A Shock Mount
2X Avantree Solid Steel Headphone Stand Holder, Desk Headset Stand Hanger

Field recording:
Zoom H6
Zoom PCH-6 Protective Case
4X Shure PGA 48 with Shure A58WS-BLK Foam WindscreenWowlife and White ABS Mic Microphone Interview Triangular Logo Flag Station
4X Hamilton Nu-Era Tabletop Mic Stand
Attachments
0 (6).jpeg
0 (6).jpeg (236.54 KiB) Viewed 1502 times

Zandrax

Post by Zandrax » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Minor Gear Update (and I'm updating the original post as well):

I'm upgrading my phone and tablet, so my old phone and/or tablet will become semi-permanently placed on my desk to be my soundboard. Now I will no longer have to worry about opening soundboard playlists in pre-show prep.

Hey that may not sound like much, but it's another thing on the list you could forget.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:30 am

That's awesome to hear! It's nice to have a dedicated device for that purpose at the desk, much easier imo.