Creating Podcast Fans One at a Time

Every forum has to have an off topic section. Here is ours.
ScottSmith14

Creating Podcast Fans One at a Time

Post by ScottSmith14 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Our neighbor is retired, in his 70s and a “Master Gardener.” He spends most of his time in his front yard garden tending to exotic flowers and other plants. I mentioned to him that I started a podcast and he said: “what’s a podcast?” I told him it was a radio show that he could listen to anytime he wanted from his computer or smartphone. I pulled out my phone and quickly found over 40 gardening podcast. I showed him on his phone how to subscribe, download and listen to these shows. About a week later he tells me he's been listening to about a dozen of these podcasts and really enjoys them. I asked him if he ever emailed the host of these podcasts. He said, “no they don't have time to be bothered with me.” I told him that's kind of what podcasting is about, the interaction adds a great deal to the experience. I suggested that he email some of his favorite shows and share his gardening experiences with them. Last week he tells me that he's been emailing four of his favorite podcast. One host was so impressed with his expertise that he wanted him to appear on his gardening podcast next week!
I didn't have a USB microphone so I ordered an Audio-Technica ATR2100 (same day delivery thank you Amazon) and let him borrow it, a microphone stand and some headphones. I showed him how to use Skype and I’ve been practicing Skype/how to sound good on an interview techniques almost every night this week. He's still a little nervous but I think he’ll do fine.

yakko

Re: Creating Podcast Fans One at a Time

Post by yakko » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:28 am

That's an awesome story! He's lucky to have a great neighbor like you.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:01 am

In the future everyone should have an ATR-2100 and smartphone instead of a analog telephone. I heard recently that Ringr even has a microphone select feature added to it's apps on iOS and Android.

I sure hope the gardener did okay. It sounds like he would be a great resource to other podcasters. Maybe he should be on the "Help a Reporter Out" website.

And KUDOS to you for getting him the ATR-2100. That's just flat out awesome.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

conradfreemymind

Post by conradfreemymind » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:45 pm

ScottSmith14 wrote:Our neighbor is retired, in his 70s and a “Master Gardener.” He spends most of his time in his front yard garden tending to exotic flowers and other plants. I mentioned to him that I started a podcast and he said: “what’s a podcast?” I told him it was a radio show that he could listen to anytime he wanted from his computer or smartphone. I pulled out my phone and quickly found over 40 gardening podcast. I showed him on his phone how to subscribe, download and listen to these shows. About a week later he tells me he's been listening to about a dozen of these podcasts and really enjoys them. I asked him if he ever emailed the host of these podcasts. He said, “no they don't have time to be bothered with me.” I told him that's kind of what podcasting is about, the interaction adds a great deal to the experience. I suggested that he email some of his favorite shows and share his gardening experiences with them. Last week he tells me that he's been emailing four of his favorite podcast. One host was so impressed with his expertise that he wanted him to appear on his gardening podcast next week!
I didn't have a USB microphone so I ordered an Audio-Technica ATR2100 (same day delivery thank you Amazon) and let him borrow it, a microphone stand and some headphones. I showed him how to use Skype and I’ve been practicing Skype/how to sound good on an interview techniques almost every night this week. He's still a little nervous but I think he’ll do fine.
Really great story. I am going to keep this in mind :)

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk