Serious About Tech feedback

Looking for some community feedback on your show? Ask for it here. Please keep in mind that the feedback may not always be easy to hear. When replying to topics, please keep in mind that your fellow podcaster making themselves vulnerable to help make their podcast the best it can be.
zacharywebb

Serious About Tech feedback

Post by zacharywebb » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Hey guys, this is Zachary Webb, host of Serious About Tech.

I am asking for your honest opinion about my show's content, production, hosting skills, and flow.
My website and technologies are also open for feedback.

The website
My latest episode: Phones from MWC 2018
Listen in iTunes/Apple Podcasts
Other ways to listen/subscribe

Software I use:
Audacity for audio recording
OBS Studio or Bandicam for video recording
Zoom, Skype, Zencastr, or Google Hangouts-on-Air for connecting to guests/co-hosts
Voicemeeter Banana for soundboard/software mixer.

Hardware I use:
Knox Podcast Microphone via USB as primary mic
Audio-Technica ATR1200 3.5mm dynamic microphone into a cheap USB soundcard for a second mic
3 cheap Neewer lavaliere microphones for 3-4 hosts on my less-important shows
Logitech C920 Pro webcam
Dell Latitude i5577-5328BLK-PUS gaming laptop

My website tech:
WordPress 4.9.4 - Custom theme - Plugins: Yoast SEO, Advanced Post Template, and many more - comments managed by Disqus

Services I use:
Auphonic for mp3 creation and ID3 tag editing
LastPass for keeping passwords for services
Blubrry for podcast statistics
Archive.org for hosting podcast audio and video (I can't afford Libsyn or PodBean)
YouTube for hosting videos
Patreon for supporting the podcast
Discord for chat

Thanks for your time and considerations!
- Zachary Webb -
Podcaster at Serious About Tech! - Freelance Web Developer at WebbCo.us
Follower of Jesus Christ

StargatePioneer

Re: Serious About Tech feedback

Post by StargatePioneer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:43 am

zacharywebb wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 pm

I am asking for your honest opinion about my show's content, production, hosting skills, and flow.

The website

On first glance your website looks pretty decent. Is it a Wordpress site? If so what theme are you using?
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

zacharywebb

Post by zacharywebb » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:00 pm

StargatePioneer wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:43 am
zacharywebb wrote:

The website
On first glance your website looks pretty decent. Is it a Wordpress site? If so what theme are you using?
Yes, it is WordPress.
I am using a theme that Webb Web Services (in other words, I) made.
- Zachary Webb -
Follower of Jesus Christ

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:13 am

zacharywebb wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Yes, it is WordPress.
I am using a theme that Webb Web Services (in other words, I) made.
Impressive!
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:17 am

You mentioned that you use an Audio Technica ATR-2100 as a second microphone. Is this a backup recording or is it for a in studio guest?

zacharywebb

Post by zacharywebb » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:43 pm

StargatePioneer wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:17 am
You mentioned that you use an Audio Technica ATR-2100 as a second microphone. Is this a backup recording or is it for a in studio guest?
I have a ATR-1200, not a ATR-2100. It was used to record my 3-person podcast, the Knepp and Webb Talk Show, and since then I haven't used it much. When I do use it I use it to record an in-studio guest (I never thought about using it for a backup recording).
- Zachary Webb -
Follower of Jesus Christ

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:53 am

zacharywebb wrote:

Zach,

I took a listen to a couple of shows and overall I'm impressed with the research, segments and infrastructure of the show. I sense that you are trying to grow your show and I applaud you for actively working on it and seeking feedback. Along those lines I have a few suggestions for you.

Your shows are pretty short. As such it seemed about half of the show was telling about your contact information and commercial. These are not BAD things but you might want to contain them to x% of your show (something a LOT less than 50%). Otherwise it seems like one big commercial or infomercial. I'm actually impressed that you structured the show to contain all of these factors and it shows that you can grow in the future without too much of an issue. That's thinking ahead!

Another suggestion I have for you - and this may just some with time - is to work on your show pacing and flow. When you speak about something you know a great deal about your pacing is smooth and easy to listen to. However, when you are searching for your words (which you do a great job of not using too many crutch words), the pacing slows and becomes disjointed. I'm not sure if you run through the entire show first before you record but you may want to see if practicing the entire show 1-3 times before you record helps. If you already do that maybe waiting a day or two to record would help. I think over time you'll become way more proficient at hosting and you already have a great start. I say keep it up and it will be even more awesome.

The only other main item I'd bring to your attention right now is your video backdrop. I mean I get it. You are a student doing amazing things with what you have. The next major technology hurdle for you is probably lighting and a backdrop of some sort. Again, what you have isn't bad. And thank goodness you clean your room! It just can distract the viewer and take their attention away from the main content.

As far as the topics go I think you nailed it. It was interesting to me to watch / listen to and you did a great job summarizing the points. Keep up the good work there.

And keep up all the great work with your show! I can't imagine doing anything close to this at your age and I'm expecting bigger and better things from you in the future!

~SP

zacharywebb

Post by zacharywebb » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks for your critiques SP!

I will try to cut down on time spent outside of meaningful content.
Video backdrops are also a consideration. I can also record in my closet, as I did for Episode 2, but it takes more time to set up. This was already a problem, as I don't have dedicated space for podcasting and don't leave my equipment set up all the time.
- Zachary Webb -
Follower of Jesus Christ