Scientology Episode #11

Looking for some community feedback on your show? Ask for it here. Please keep in mind that the feedback may not always be easy to hear. When replying to topics, please keep in mind that your fellow podcaster making themselves vulnerable to help make their podcast the best it can be.
ScottSmith14

Scientology Episode #11

Post by ScottSmith14 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Our Scientology episode got quite a bit of feedback and downloads. While I'm not a big fan of two-hour podcast episodes if we played all of the listener's stories we received it would've been five hours long.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/11- ... 11975&mt=2

You can also get to it from here:
http://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/p ... -2017-ep-1

ScottSmith14

Re: Scientology Episode #11

Post by ScottSmith14 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:08 pm

And I can take criticism.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:17 am

ScottSmith14 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:02 pm
Our Scientology episode got quite a bit of feedback and downloads. While I'm not a big fan of two-hour podcast episodes if we played all of the listener's stories we received it would've been five hours long.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/11- ... 11975&mt=2

You can also get to it from here:
http://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/p ... -2017-ep-1
lol. 2 whole hours, huh? I'll do my best Scott. ;)
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:22 pm

OVERALL: Nice, easy going intro. The episode as a whole sounds either well edited or Scott and Emily have fantastic microphone / presenting / talking skills. I do like the “stories” at the start of the episode. Storytelling will always draw me in.

Scott and Emily sound very knowledge and have breadth of experience in the topic and talk about the subject in a manner that is not confronting and confrontational in tone but rather in a polite (and slightly snarky) discussion. I liked the breadth of information given and multiple viewpoints. Although there is no direct voice given to the religion in question itself. Given the nature of the subject matter I doubt that they would support your project, though.

The discussion is nicely paced and an excessive use of Truncate Silence is not used.

The interviews were interesting and flowed well in terms of content. So either you did a great job at asking the questions or you did a great job of editing it together or both.

The episode flowed well, surprisingly kept my attention, and was presented in a warm, compassionate voice while presenting your message in a comprehensive way. As far as the content goes I think you guys have nailed it. There’s just a few technical bugs to flush out. Keep up the great work!

SOUND QUALITY: Emily sounds a bit echo-y. Perhaps a condenser microphone? A few mouth ticks from Scott in an otherwise beautiful sound. I’ve had this same issue and use the iZotope Rx-5 declick plugin to minimize it. Most likely it’s just a factor of being that close to a really good broadcast microphone.

I enjoyed the segment break bumps.

The interview quality for Scott specifically suffered a bit in the first interview. The interviewer was not great audio quality but then again I don’t think anyone expects an interviewee to have great sound quality.

MEDIA HOST: Libysn. It’s a great choice. Especially for the stability I suspect you’ll want and potential for number of downloads.

WEBSITE: Easy to navigate and everything that’s there is easily found. It looks to be part of your organization's website which is great to be embedded so closely. No subscribe button or a way to contact Scott or Emily directly with podcast feedback.

MP3 FILE ID3: Given the nature of the show and the fact that some of the files might be passed from person to person to help a loved one or family member, you might want to think about adding the shownotes into the Lyrics part of the ID3 tag.

I see that you are using Variable Bit Rate instead of Constant Bitrate to encode. I would recommend CBR for audio files. The sample rate at 48000 sample rate might cause a playback issue with some forms of playback. 44100 is more universal. You might want to add a copyright to your ID3 tags just in case someone wants to use it without attribution back to you.

You perceived loudness at -18.4 puts your file nicely in the range of where a stereo file should be.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

ScottSmith14

Post by ScottSmith14 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks SP for taking the time to listen to that episode and write up the review. I appreciate how long it must've took.
It's all in the editing. We couldn't talk our way out of a wet sack. Yeah, we get a lot of great comments on the listeners’ stories.
My middle name is Snarky. I had wacky parents. You should see what ends up on the cutting room floor.
iZotope Rx-5 declick plugin. That looks like a great product. I knew this review was going to cost me money.
We'll look into a subscribe button and a way to contact us on our website as well as adding the shownotes into the Lyrics part of the ID3 tag.
Variable Bit Rate vs. Constant Bitrate to encode. (A) You went over my head faster than Chinese trigonometry. (B) Assuming this can be done in Audacity, constant only goes up to 192kbps. (C) It should be apparent by both of us and anyone else reading this, that I'm not even for familiar enough with this to ask an intelligent question. I have some YouTube research to do.
Good point about adding a copyright to our ID3 tags. I'll run it up our chain.
BYW; Our Scientology episode was the only episode that didn’t make it to Stitcher. I did complain and didn’t get a reply. I'm sure it was just “coincidence.”
Thanks again SP for the most excellent review. You're a gentleman and scholar. I don't care what Stephen says.