Introducing myself

Welcome to THE PODCAST FORUM, now take a moment to tell everyone about yourself. While you can definitely include your podcast experience, please save links to your show for the "Podcast Promotion" category.
In the 906

Introducing myself

Post by In the 906 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Hello!

Longtime podcast listener and dreaming just as long about starting my own podcast.

...and now I'm about to launch two of them! Yipes!

Living in a very quiet part of Michigan, one of my challenges is struggling with bandwidth to the web. Have this near line of sight connection that's certainly faster than dial up...but still slower than DSL.

That's it for now...thanks for creating this place!
Greg.

StargatePioneer

Re: Introducing myself

Post by StargatePioneer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:53 pm

Good luck Greg! Let us know if you have any questions.

I've certainly struggled with bandwidth issues while traveling this year. It does limit what you can do BUT there's still a ton you can do with limited bandwidth ... or even alternatives if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

In the 906

Post by In the 906 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks SP!

My co-host and I have tried Zencastr for VOIP and recording, and I've been pleased with both so far on my very narrow pipe!

yakko

Post by yakko » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:21 pm

I've had good experience with Zencastr, but make sure you're recording a local backup just in case! Zencastr can recover files in many cases if there's a problem, but you can never have too many backups!

In the 906

Post by In the 906 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:50 pm

Thanks for the tip Yakko - looking into one right now!

yakko

Post by yakko » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:02 am

Are you on a Mac or PC? If you're on a Mac, I recommend Audio Hijack. It's what I use for backups and is really versatile.

In the 906

Post by In the 906 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm on a PC.

Quick question - a recorder will back up my send of a Zencastr conversation only, right? Might want to suggest to my co-host (who is a Mac man) about using Hijack to backup his side.

yakko

Post by yakko » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:56 pm

As with everything...it depends. Audio Hijack, and similar apps can record the entire call. I have mine set up to record my mic directly into one channel of the backup file and the audio from the recording call in the other channel. That provides a backup of everything, plus one more backup of just my audio. There's been times we've had to go back to that and it's useful to have. On the PC I've used Total Recorder, but don't find it nearly as easy to use as Audio Hijack.