Howdy!

Welcome to THE PODCAST FORUM, now take a moment to tell everyone about yourself. While you can definitely include your podcast experience, please save links to your show for the "Podcast Promotion" category.
yakko

Howdy!

Post by yakko » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi, I'm Jeremy! I'm a huge fan of tech and have been working in the IT field in one form or another for just over 20 years. After being on staff of a few now-dead websites and with experience of running my own, I started up a Transformers fan site called IaconHub in 2001 that focused on live chat and sharing episodes (this was pre-Netflix days). That site was very popular for a time but faded as life changed for all of us. I still was interested in the community that we built though, and re-creating that.

I have been listening to podcasts pretty much since the start of things, and had been saving mp3s of radio shows to listen to on my Pocket PC and Diamond Rio mp3 player before podcasts existed. Almost all of the podcasts I listened to in the early days were tech based, primarily from TWiT, CNet, and ZDNet. Eventually I tried some others, particulary in my main fandom of the Transformers. Most of the quality was very bad in those early days, but there's a couple that stuck around. Over the years I've phased a lot of the tech shows (as they are very repetitive) and replaced them with more pop-culture and comic book shows, podcasts about podcasting, and of course...more Transformers.

In 2012 I really got the bug to try and create a podcast, but it took me about a year to actually do it. One of the podcasts I loved, The Underbase (now podfaded), had a guest on that was from my city. That was the kick in the pants I needed and asked the show's host to get us in touch with each other and then put out a post on the Transformers subreddit asking if anyone wants to try to do a podcast. Two people replied to that, and the four of us clicked immediately.

We created "TransMissions," with the name being based off the old Marvel Transformers comics. At episode 201 we split TransMissions into two shows, TransMissions kept the name and the numbering and focuses on toys while "Alt Mode" is a new show just about Transformers comics and media. One of our big complaints is podcasts that either take too long to get into their topic or venture off topic along the way so we've also added a third show called "TransMissions Extra!" that gives us an outlet to talk about non-Transformers topics.

I also created a personal podcast called "Yakko Yaks!" that's currently on hiatus (I refuse to say it's podfaded). It was about pop culture news and reviews. My other active podcast is called "POV: Paladins of Voltron" where a friend, who I met because he was a listener to TransMissions, and I review the new Netflix Voltron series.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Re: Howdy!

Post by StephenJondrew » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:03 am

Welcome to the Forum, Jeremy! Good to see you.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

StargatePioneer

Re: Howdy!

Post by StargatePioneer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Wow Jeremy! That's quite the story! Pocket PC and Diamond Rio's...that's hard core pre-podcast consuming right there. Welcome to the forum and it sounds like you've got a lot going on. I can't wait to learn nuggets from what you have to say.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com