What is your editing software?

Software is an important part of podcasting, so discuss it here. This includes both traditional software and apps. PLEASE NOTE, ILLEGAL SOFTWARE DISCUSSION/SHARING IS NOT ALLOWED.
joshuacliston

Re: What is your editing software?

Post by joshuacliston » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:34 pm

As of 12months ago I moved back to using Audacity on my Mac (in concert with the Auphonic desktop App for Mac).
Over the past 7 years I've used ProTools (on PC and Mac), Audition (on PC and Mac), GarageBand, Hindenburg Journalist and Logic Pro X.

I'm not sure why, but I prefer Audacity for pretty much all of the Podcasting projects I'm involved with these days. It has the most comfortable interface and cleanest editing flow for me. The interface/editing-flow works for my solo and interview shows (with 3-5 tracks total), and it works just as well for my much more compositional shows (15-30 tracks) - cont. the AU-effects on the Mac version make Audacity a little more powerful again.

Regardless of the DAW you choose, you really can't skip the heavy-lifting of learning how-to use it, if you want to get the most out of your DAW! When I decided to dig deep into the features and editing flows of Audacity, I discovered that the software was capable of being both more powerful than I realised, and also more usable than the "gurus" lead me to believe.

**Amendment (2017-09-15) - over the past few months I've been doing more editing work for other producers (who all seem to love the Broadcast Multi-Band sound), and I've also producing up some Radio demo reels for myself and my co-host, so I've moved some of my work back back into Audition for the MAC**

***Amendment (2018-05-08) - I've since stopped using Audition and I'm back using Audacity for pretty much everything Podcast related. Since adding RX6 I haven't found the need for Audition and it's monthly cost**
Last edited by joshuacliston on Mon May 07, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ScottSmith14

Post by ScottSmith14 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:13 pm

We've used Audacity from the start. It's free and it works. Our show is recorded audio only. We don't do live, video or holograms. YET!

zacharywebb

Post by zacharywebb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:51 am

I've been using Audacity for 4 years. My video editing software is VSDC Video Editor Free. I will buy better software someday, but for now, these work great!
- Zachary Webb -
Podcaster at Serious About Tech! - Freelance Web Developer at WebbCo.us
Follower of Jesus Christ

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:51 pm

zacharywebb wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:51 am
I've been using Audacity for 4 years. My video editing software is VSDC Video Editor Free. I will buy better software someday, but for now, these work great!
I'm not familiar with VSDC Editor Free. Do you like it? Is it better than iMovie?

Audacity is great and does just about everything I need it for. However, it is a destructive editor which means whatever effects you apply to the track you have now changed it forever. This is the ONE reason I'm thinking about using Reaper (I'd try Audition but I do not want the monthly payment). Until then Audacity has worked great for me since the fall of 2013.

~SP
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

yakko

Post by yakko » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:57 pm

I've tried Reaper a few times and just can't wrap my head around it. I should give it another shot soon.

zacharywebb

Post by zacharywebb » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:20 pm

StargatePioneer wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm not familiar with VSDC Editor Free. Do you like it? Is it better than iMovie?

Audacity is great and does just about everything I need it for. However, it is a destructive editor which means whatever effects you apply to the track you have now changed it forever. This is the ONE reason I'm thinking about using Reaper (I'd try Audition but I do not want the monthly payment). Until then Audacity has worked great for me since the fall of 2013.

~SP
I like VSDC. I've never used iMovie, so I can't compare. VSDC has a pro version for $20, and that would give you chroma-key background removal and hardware acceleration.
- Zachary Webb -
Podcaster at Serious About Tech! - Freelance Web Developer at WebbCo.us
Follower of Jesus Christ

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Does anyone use Mixcraft for audio editing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

Frozt

Post by Frozt » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:21 pm

I've tried Audacity, just like anyone else. But I have to say, I am loving Reaper way too much. For y'all broke folk out there, there is a 60 day free trial (no limits other than 60 days).
Host of ChatNShat

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 pm

Frozt wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:21 pm
I've tried Audacity, just like anyone else. But I have to say, I am loving Reaper way too much. For y'all broke folk out there, there is a 60 day free trial (no limits other than 60 days).
I still do plan to give Reaper a spin this year. But I'm going to try a Video Editing software package first.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Reaper was my intention to use until Vegas Movie Studio changed everything for me. I'll chat more on this in a future Better Podcasting episode. :)
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast