Changes

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit in to one of the other categories? Go ahead and post it here.
Frozt

Changes

Post by Frozt » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:42 pm

I know the typical format for podcasts feeds, according to itunes, is to be in RSS format. I know SP mentioned in a different post that times are changing, that RSS 2 has been around forever and it wouldn't take any provider to change the format to RSS 3.
But why does it have to be in RSS? Why not another language like JSON? With the availability of all the different api's out there, json has been the goto.
I read through this article which highlights the pro's of xml (which rss uses) and json. Personally, I'd like to see json used more widely. What's your thoughts?
Host of ChatNShat

yakko

Re: Changes

Post by yakko » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:22 am

I know there was a lot of talk on Daring Fireball about JSON feeds in the past few months, but I feel it's like .zip and .jpg, or even mp3. None of them are the best formats, but they've been around so long that everyone supports them. Adding a new feed format will be tough. RSS won out over Atom feeds, and I don't see it going out any time soon.