Lots of folks selling their Zoom H5's & H6's

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit in to one of the other categories? Go ahead and post it here.
joshuacliston

Lots of folks selling their Zoom H5's & H6's

Post by joshuacliston » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Just wanted to share a random observation from the Australian Podcasters' Group on Facebook (I founded the group in 2013 and recently stepped down as an admin).

I'm seeing more and more Podcasters in the group and in other groups selling their Zoom H5 and H6 devices of late, and to be honest, I've also moved away from using my H5 and started using my old Roland R-05 again instead - although a little noisier in its pre-amps than the H5, it has far fewer digital artifacts, crackles and buzziness than the H5 (note: the same SD was used).

Are the Zoom's not living up to the hype? ..or is this the down shift in the pure interview style show, where Podcasters may have planned to do a lot of on-site/in-person recording, and it never materialized?

StargatePioneer

Re: Lots of folks selling their Zoom H5's & H6's

Post by StargatePioneer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Joshua,

I recently picked up a second H6 from someone that was downsizing their gear, and I'm glad I did since I needed it a week ago at GenCon (a major central US geek/gaming convention) and I still perma-mount my original H6 in my studio. At times I have used 5 to 6 channels on it so I definitely required the 6 channel recorder. I also have used my H5 both as a road podcast recorder and a video hot-shoe recorder with the shotgun capsule.

Both recorders are incredibly useful if you need them. And I don't care if you use a Zoom recorder, a Roland or a Tascam recorder but I have been on the receiving end of way too many lost recordings not to advocate to use one as least as a backup.

But let's get back to your questions. Are more and more Podcasters selling the gear? Sure. I would expect that. Maybe they need the cash. Maybe they wanted to downsize. Maybe they have opted for a Sound Device Mix Pre3 or Pre6. Or maybe they have changed the style of show that they do. It could be anything or a combination of anything. At the rate that new Podcasters are entering the space (Apple stated a rate of 1,000 new shows per week at WWDC) and the previous stated rates for podcasts not making it past 7 shows, my money would be on Podcasters leaving the space more than anything else.

For what it's worth I haven't noticed any crackles or buzziness in my recordings. But I can tell you the audio quality of the Zoom H6 and H5 is better than any PC based recorder that I've used.

~SP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:20 pm

StargatePioneer wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:48 pm

For what it's worth I haven't noticed any crackles or buzziness in my recordings. But I can tell you the audio quality of the Zoom H6 and H5 is better than any PC based recorder that I've used.

~SP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm thinking you're right SP, it's most likely a combination of all the things you mentioned, and you're also correct that there is always churn in the space - so the fact that folks seem to be selling H5/H6's really doesn't mean much as a data point - as those were the best devices available for a number of years where many Podcasters started their shows.

But it's also a little sad that folks feel like they need to put out the cash for a H5 or H6 from day one without really needing to (or worse yet pay some Guru for a course on how-to use the device). :?

Plus, Zoom is a mid-level brand at best in the music space, so I find it hard to believe that either the H5 or H6 would hold any reasonable re-sale value, unlike say a Sound Devices unit.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:42 pm

I'm a bit jaded with my answer. I think that there's a lot of people who fall in love with some of the big-talk and big-walk that many of the big-voices have within the podcasting circles. They see all this gear and want to buy it only to realize it's bigger than them (or they podfade). I think there's a real opportunity for some people to be better when talking about gear and really emphasize that it's not needed (there's a reason we often say all you need is an AT2005/2100/Knox)

Regarding living up to the hype? Personally I found a noticeable increase in clarity from my Cakewalk FA66 (which was a leading firewire interface) and moving to my Zoom H6.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast