The Importance of Confidence for a New Podcast or Podcaster

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit in to one of the other categories? Go ahead and post it here.
joshuacliston

The Importance of Confidence for a New Podcast or Podcaster

Post by joshuacliston » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Hey all, hopefully this isn't too off-the-mark for our forum here - but I just wanted to share the following. And obviously I'd encourage everyone here to disagree with me if you think I'm wrong..

With the new Apple Podcast Stats going live (in beta) today, I'm sure many of us have either already rushed over to Podcastsconnect or are planning to at some point in the near future, but for those out who are just starting out, or like in my case, have just launched a brand new show in the past few weeks - I would encourage you to NOT look at those Apple Stats, at least not right now.

The reason is this - I believe the most important thing for a new indie Podcaster (or a new indie Podcast) is to maintain your confidence, and to execute your vision for the show you want to make. I have a feeling that the Apple Stats are just another way for new Podcasters and new Podcasts to take yet another knock to their confidence early on.

Sure, dig deep into those numbers once you have your battle rhythm and you've got something you're pretty happy with, meaning, use the new Apple Stats as a tool to tweak your existing content, not as yet another way to judge the worth of your program and your creative abilities..

StargatePioneer

Re: The Importance of Confidence for a New Podcast or Podcaster

Post by StargatePioneer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Josh, good words of wisdom for a new podcaster. In your mind, where would you put the break in terms of experience to start paying attention to these stats? A year? 25 episodes? 100 hours? When should a new podcaster start to care?
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

joshuacliston

Re: The Importance of Confidence for a New Podcast or Podcaster

Post by joshuacliston » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:51 pm

StargatePioneer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:20 pm
Josh, good words of wisdom for a new podcaster. In your mind, where would you put the break in terms of experience to start paying attention to these stats? A year? 25 episodes? 100 hours? When should a new podcaster start to care?
Good questions. For the brand new Podcaster releasing their first show I'd be giving myself 15-20 weekly episodes before I'd start digging into the Apple stats. Most of us have a good sense of our content after a dozen or so episodes, and we can view the Apple stats as an extra tool instead of the be-all-and-end-all of what your show should be doing!