How Do You Record Your Podcast?

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit in to one of the other categories? Go ahead and post it here.
StargatePioneer

How Do You Record Your Podcast?

Post by StargatePioneer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:48 pm

There’s probably as many ways to record your podcast as there are podcasts. We’ve all found our preferred method that works for us but every once in a while I wonder if there is a better way for me so I’d like to ask everyone how do you record your show? What microphone(s) do you use? Are they USB or XLR? Do you use a separate recorder or do you record to a program on your computer? Do you use an on-line service to connect and record? Do you try different ways? What are the pros and cons of the methods you’ve attempted? I’m interested in any way you record no matter how simple or complex. Thank you in advance!

~SP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

yakko

Re: How Do You Record Your Podcast?

Post by yakko » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:29 am

We use Discord instead of Skype to record and allow our Patreon supporters to chat and listen in. We use Zencastr for the actual recording with backups from myself and another host using Audio Hijack. We also use a bot in Discord called Craig that records in there as an extra backup. It's saved us in the past when Zencastr had really bad drift problems.

In terms of hardware, I use a AT2005 (though I just got a Q2U for cheap and I'm testing that). The mic is plugged into a Behringer X1204USB mixer, and that is going into my Mac via USB for Audio Hijack and via an aux send into my PC with a UCA202 adapter.

I use a third PC to stream (I'm always trying to make things more complicated!). We use XSplit and I stream to Joicaster which sends the stream to both YouTube and Twitch. We do use Skype for that part unfortunately.

zacharywebb

Post by zacharywebb » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:17 am

I record my Knox Podcast Microphone (now worth close to 1 million dollars according to SP) via USB into Bandicam or OBS Studio on my Dell Latitude i5577 laptop.

I don't have a co-host, but when I have a guest, I record via Google Hangouts on Air, Zencastr, or a "custom solution" (hacked-together OBS with Skype and local webcam).

Speaking of webcam, I have the Logitech C920 and my gaming laptop has enough power to record video.
I can't do live-streaming because of our DSL internet (6Mbps down 0.5Mbps up).
- Zachary Webb -
Podcaster at Serious About Tech! - Freelance Web Developer at WebbCo.us
Follower of Jesus Christ

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:29 am

yakko wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:29 am
We use Discord instead of Skype to record and allow our Patreon supporters to chat and listen in. We use Zencastr for the actual recording with backups from myself and another host using Audio Hijack. We also use a bot in Discord called Craig that records in there as an extra backup. It's saved us in the past when Zencastr had really bad drift problems.
Discord has been incredibly useful to several podcast communities. I'm so glad that yours has embraced using it. The transmissions Discord is one of the best curated and involved Discords I've had the pleasure of participating in (even though most of the time I'm just a lurker). I enjoy that you can use Discord to connect and record while maintaining a chat room. In fact Transmissions was the community that brought me into Discord just to see what it was all about and I've enjoyed the live broadcasts I've listened to.

I'm still leary of Zencastr and it sounds like my concerns have some grounding by your experiences. I didn't know about the bot though! That's an awesome tip! Does the bot record in the cloud somewhere or on someone's PC? Regardless I'm glad you have a couple of hosts recording. This technique has saved me in the past several times!
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:32 am

yakko wrote:
In terms of hardware, I use a AT2005 (though I just got a Q2U for cheap and I'm testing that). The mic is plugged into a Behringer X1204USB mixer, and that is going into my Mac via USB for Audio Hijack and via an aux send into my PC with a UCA202 adapter.
I cannot wait to start using my Samson Q2U. The frequency response tells me that the capsule itself is one of Samson's own versus the Audio Technica 2005 or 2100 capsule that is so identical. (R.I.P. Knox).

How long have you had your Behringer X1204USB Mixer?

Is Audio Hijack a MacOS version of Voicemeeter?

Why the two USB inputs?

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:34 am

yakko wrote:
I use a third PC to stream (I'm always trying to make things more complicated!). We use XSplit and I stream to Joicaster which sends the stream to both YouTube and Twitch. We do use Skype for that part unfortunately.
Wait. A THIRD PC? Please describe to me why you need three.

I use two myself. The main PC and a old laptop that's still good enough to stream audio-only through Spreaker.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:37 am

zacharywebb wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:17 am
I record my Knox Podcast Microphone (now worth close to 1 million dollars according to SP) via USB into Bandicam or OBS Studio on my Dell Latitude i5577 laptop.
In full disclosure that might be 1,000,000 BitCoin or $1,000,000 in Canadian Dollars. So either you are the richest main on the planet or you have enough for a pack of gum. Either way I'd keep the 5 Knox microphones. At the time they were a steal for you in terms of price versis the ATR-2100, the AT2005 and the Samson Q2U.

I've never used Bandicam before. How do you like it versus OBS?

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:39 am

zacharywebb wrote:
I don't have a co-host, but when I have a guest, I record via Google Hangouts on Air, Zencastr, or a "custom solution" (hacked-together OBS with Skype and local webcam).
Your "Custom Solution" sounds very much like why Stephen, Chris and I do on GonnaGeek. I wouldn't call it a "hacked-together" solution since this is the type of application OBS is designed for. I'd say you are actually ahead of the game for most podcasters figuring solutions like this out. They will just beome more normalized inthe po-space int eh coming 2-5 years in my opinion.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:42 am

zacharywebb wrote:
Speaking of webcam, I have the Logitech C920 and my gaming laptop has enough power to record video.
I can't do live-streaming because of our DSL internet (6Mbps down 0.5Mbps up).
Ugh!!! You are singing my internet connect woes tune right there Zach! Although I have a slightly better connection than you it is still not powerful enough to do everything I want considering video streaming. Although when I first started podcasting dial-up internet was still very much a thing. It's amazing what has happened in this century alone in terms of progress. So don't give up hope and become frustrated since in a few years you'll be screaming along at higher speeds.

zacharywebb

Post by zacharywebb » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:50 pm

StargatePioneer wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:37 am
zacharywebb wrote:
I've never used Bandicam before. How do you like it versus OBS?
1. Bandicam is more of a game-play recorder that can also record a webcam.
2. I personally think that Bandicam often has no lag in the recording, whereas usually with OBS I experience that the video lags behind the audio.
3. Bandicam is much simpler to use, and records both a video file (mp4 with audio) and an audio file (wav) simultaneously, which makes my production/editing quicker.
- Zachary Webb -
Podcaster at Serious About Tech! - Freelance Web Developer at WebbCo.us
Follower of Jesus Christ