How Do You Record Your Podcast?

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit in to one of the other categories? Go ahead and post it here.
yakko

Re: How Do You Record Your Podcast?

Post by yakko » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:23 am

StargatePioneer wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:29 am
Discord has been incredibly useful to several podcast communities. I'm so glad that yours has embraced using it. The transmissions Discord is one of the best curated and involved Discords I've had the pleasure of participating in (even though most of the time I'm just a lurker). I enjoy that you can use Discord to connect and record while maintaining a chat room. In fact Transmissions was the community that brought me into Discord just to see what it was all about and I've enjoyed the live broadcasts I've listened to.
Thanks, I've enjoyed the community we've built up in Discord. It's nice to have an alternative to Twitter and Facebook where we can interact.
StargatePioneer wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:29 am
I'm still leary of Zencastr and it sounds like my concerns have some grounding by your experiences. I didn't know about the bot though! That's an awesome tip! Does the bot record in the cloud somewhere or on someone's PC? Regardless I'm glad you have a couple of hosts recording. This technique has saved me in the past several times!
It's hosted on the bot's site. They hold the audio for 48 hours after recording then delete it. It's pretty nice. It records the audio in FLAC and a few other formats.
StargatePioneer wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:32 am

How long have you had your Behringer X1204USB Mixer?
I've had it for about two years now. No major problems so far, though I added a Simply Sound SS-1 recently to get cleaner gain on my mic.
StargatePioneer wrote:
Is Audio Hijack a MacOS version of Voicemeeter?
I haven't used Voicemeeter, but Audio Hijack is an app to record either all system audio, or just a specific app. It is very versatle and lets you route audio in multiple ways and to multiple outputs.
StargatePioneer wrote:
Why the two USB inputs?
StargatePioneer wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:34 am
Wait. A THIRD PC? Please describe to me why you need three.

I use two myself. The main PC and a old laptop that's still good enough to stream audio-only through Spreaker.
My main PC is a desktop system, that's used for Zencastr, show notes, and everything else I interact with during the recording. I use an older laptop for XSplit and streaming, leveraging a tether to my work phone because it's true unlimited plan has faster upload than my cable modem. The third PC is my 2011 Macbook Pro that I use for Audio Hijack, just for backups.

I think that's answers to all of your questions. One thing I just remembered though, our video streaming is now through Joicaster. It's a service that lets us send one stream to them and they send it out to multiple outputs. For us it's Twitch and YouTube. That's a bandwith saver.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:36 am

I use individual Skype sessions for each participant, routed into Xsplit for video and onto my Zoom L12 for audio. I usually use an Audio Technica BP40 into a dbx286 which then goes into the L12.

The L12 records multi track which is where I get my microphone audio as well as the back up tracks if needed.

I live stream my recordings to YouTube and Facebook, and occasionally Mixer (not to be confused with Mixlr) which all could potentially serve as a backup if my main video recording failed.

I use an iPad for live bumps, but am considering scrapping it to just have xsplit do it all. I do have a crummy Windows tablet that I sometimes use to keep tabs on things like show docs or live chatroom. Truthfully I haven't used it with podcasting since I went away for work last.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

Zandrax

Post by Zandrax » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:20 pm

As I have said before, I'm living proof that you can sound good on a limited budget.

I use an AT2005 plugged directly into my laptop via USB, and record with Voicemeeter, which can multitrack record. I edit on Audacity. So a $70-100 mic, donationware recording, and freeware editing.