Catch Up Episode Publishing Schedule

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit in to one of the other categories? Go ahead and post it here.
StargatePioneer

Catch Up Episode Publishing Schedule

Post by StargatePioneer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:04 am

So life has a habit of getting in the way and sometimes editing and post production activities takes longer than my routine recording schedule and from time to time I've ended up with a few episodes "in the can" so to speak while I have gone a week or two or three without publishing an episode. My shows are supposed to release one episode a week but when my editing gets behind I'd like to catch up and post more than one episode a week. However, both my experience and other producer's experience that have shared information with me (along with my own consumer habits) have told me that too much content can get overwhelming for the listener and it will take the listener a while to get caught up .... or maybe the listener just won't listen to the episodes if I publish more than once a week.

So Podcast Forum I'm asking you what you would recommend doing.

1) Keep publishing at the normal once a week schedule and just hope for an off recording week or two to get caught up?

2) Publish more than one episode a week and risk annoying my listeners and perhaps some listeners just not listening tot he show?

3) Publish the episodes as available online but don't put them in my RSS feed until a routine scheduled time once a week until I get caught up due to off-weeks?

4) [Your recommendation here]

So please let me know what you think. I'm curious what other podcast producers would recommend.

Thank you in advance!

~SP
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

zacharywebb

Re: Catch Up Episode Publishing Schedule

Post by zacharywebb » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:14 am

No. 1 is what I would do.
- Zachary Webb -
Podcaster at Serious About Tech! - Freelance Web Developer at WebbCo.us
Follower of Jesus Christ

yakko

Post by yakko » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 am

I would do it twice a week to catch up, but include a brief episode explaining what is happening. Just spread out the episodes by a few days so the listeners aren't overwhelmed.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:21 am

zacharywebb wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:14 am
No. 1 is what I would do.
I think that's the way I'm going to go with one of my shows and see what happens over time. It seems best for that show.

Thanks for your input Zach!
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:22 am

yakko wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 am
I would do it twice a week to catch up, but include a brief episode explaining what is happening. Just spread out the episodes by a few days so the listeners aren't overwhelmed.
Instead of a brief episode I think I'll add a little post credit explanation but only keep the publishing to twice a week. Any more than that and I know our audience will get overwhelmed based on past experience of covering special events daily.

Thanks for your insight!

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:50 am

Assuming you are talking about Legends of Shield, knowing what I know about your audience and their vocal drive to have content out right away following the AoS episode (as you've discussed occasionally on BP), I'd probably do what it takes to get caught up asap.

You've mentioned before on BP how LoS's bread and butter is during the run of AoS. AoS just returned and only has a handful of episodes left before the end of the season. Therefore, now is the time to capitalize imo. Even if it meant taking a week off and then doing two episode reviews within the same episode (perhaps dropping another comment of your show for that episode), I think it'd make sense to just get them out the door so you can then run the rest of the season releasing the week following the episode of AoS. While it might mean that the episodes released in a short period don't get much traffic, you might see a bump with the other episodes released during the rest of this year's AoS run due to them being back in line with your focal content.

Perhaps some concessions may need to be made such as editing a little lighter than usual.

Now, if this was a show that isn't as time sensitive and isn't tied to a property, I'd probably instead take a few weeks off. Maintain the release schedule until you're caught up and then start going. I'm not wild about having episodes sitting around waiting to be released, so if the show allowed to stop recording for awhile to catch up on release (rather than getting more behind), that's the route I'd take.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast