Local Podcasting and Breaking Up Segments for Release as min-episodes

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit in to one of the other categories? Go ahead and post it here.
joshuacliston

Local Podcasting and Breaking Up Segments for Release as min-episodes

Post by joshuacliston » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Hey All, would really appreciate your feedback on the following.

A little background first though.
I've been building out a variety show for my local region here in Australia for the past 3-4months.
(our local area has lots of strange historical moments, odd news stories and an above average number of celebrity, political and sports figures. I'm also plugged into the local music scene, comedy and arts, and also the local pro-basketball team - so have plenty of insight into particular local content sources).

The show pilot is almost ready and the people who have sampled it so far have said it sounds great, is interesting, and most importantly, is funny ... so that's a Win.

So, my question is: if you were doing a local show that is built in defined segments, would you also release the mini-segments into the feed as their own episodes at the same time as releasing the fully produced episode?

**I'm thinking certain folks might be only be interested in one or two particular segments to start with, but if I donut those small pieces in an interesting way maybe I can drive potential listeners back to sample the whole show..**

yakko

Re: Local Podcasting and Breaking Up Segments for Release as min-episodes

Post by yakko » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:19 am

I'd release each segment in their own feed in addition to the full episode's feed. If someone's only interested in music, they can just get the music feed, etc. I'm doing that with an "interview" feed. It has the full episodes, but all of our interview shows are in that feed. I don't really push it though, it's just on our website.

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:34 pm

yakko wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:19 am
I'd release each segment in their own feed in addition to the full episode's feed. If someone's only interested in music, they can just get the music feed, etc. I'm doing that with an "interview" feed. It has the full episodes, but all of our interview shows are in that feed. I don't really push it though, it's just on our website.
Yeah I think you're probably right. And unless I come up with a very good reason not to split the feeds, I might go with multiple feeds like mentioned above.

Maybe I'm just searching for an excuse not to have to manager more than one new RSS feed - given I have four other podcasts already, haha :shock:

yakko

Post by yakko » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:41 am

Another option is to use mp3 chapters and just make it easy for listeners to get to the segments. We use Forecast (mac only) but Auphonic can do it too. We also make sure to include timecodes in our show notes as some podcast apps let you tap a time to jump to it.

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:54 pm

yakko wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:41 am
Another option is to use mp3 chapters and just make it easy for listeners to get to the segments. We use Forecast (mac only) but Auphonic can do it too. We also make sure to include timecodes in our show notes as some podcast apps let you tap a time to jump to it.
That is a great idea. I'm a Mac user so Forecast sounds perfect, and if not, I'm a long time Auphonic user, so I have options.

Regarding the clickable show notes, are your listeners referencing the time codes and then scrubbing to that position in the audio, or are those time codes actually linked to different places in the file itself. If so, I'm assuming that click-to-listen time codes would only work on your actual website?

Exciting ideas mate :)

yakko

Post by yakko » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 am

The clickable timecodes takes the listener directly to that point in the audio. It's a feature of the podcast app, not the player on the site. I think some players do have that feature, but we use the stock PowerPress player. The chapters are even better if the mobile app supports it. Forecast even lets you add images and URLs per chapter, so we have a URL for feedback and one for our support page in those chapters.

Our listeners like the timecodes or chapters because we do some spoiler filled comic reviews in one of our shows and some of our audience haven't read the comic yet, but want to listen to the rest of the show.