Podcast Growth

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit in to one of the other categories? Go ahead and post it here.
simo112

Podcast Growth

Post by simo112 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and relative,y new to podcasting. But I was just wondering what the best ways to naturally grow a podcast people have found?

Myself and a couple of mates have started a sports podcast and are really wanting it to succeed and I thought by asking others what they have found has helped them might help us.

Thanks

StargatePioneer

Re: Podcast Growth

Post by StargatePioneer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Podcast growth starts by having a good product. You’ll need engaging, entertaining and informative content that sounds listenable and not like it’s recorded in the basement with on microphone per 2-3 hosts.

Once you’ve achieved that the next steps involve using (but not overusing) social media with strategically placed hashtags and mentions. Joining Internet forums and groups and servers that are in your show’s niche and building relationships before blindly promoting your show in them. Go to local conferences in your niche and either get a booth or sign up to do a panel or interview whoever you can while staying in line with the events rules.

Collaboration with other podcasts is also a great way to spread he word either through guest spots or crossovers.

Finally you can run targeted ads on Overcast and Reddit and Facebook but be warned the roi to get new subscribers is very high.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

Zandrax

Re: Podcast Growth

Post by Zandrax » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:47 pm

Like SP said, your first priority should be to make a great show. Good content will keep people around more than bad content.

I put this very bluntly, but I don't mean it in a negative way. You are not going to hit a home run off the bat. The odds of being an instant success in podcasting is infinitesimal (that means really REALLY small, like more likely to get struck by lightning while winning the lottery small). The best thing to do is just not get discourage if you're not getting the numbers you want quickly. Your earliest shows will also likely be your worst.

As far as getting to the actual growth going, keep an eye or ear out for what you think your listeners want to hear. Appreciate honest feedback. It's also a good idea to have guests. If you get guests, and they like you, they are far more likely to share the show they're on to their friends. And you may win some of those people over, and get them to listen after that guest is done.

I also agree that working with other podcasts can only help, assuming the other people are ethical. Some of my best received shows have been crossover shows with other podcasters. Again, fans of the other show may become fans of your show.

To steal a line from the late great Johnny Cash, it only takes half a mile a day. in other words, don't set any short term grandiose plans. Just go at a pace comfortable for you, and work the best you can at that.

If you haven't heard of The Audacity To Podcast by Daniel J Lewis, he has an excellent episode about growing your podcast here.