Do You Value Edison (and similar) Research?

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit in to one of the other categories? Go ahead and post it here.
StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Do You Value Edison (and similar) Research?

Post by StephenJondrew » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:30 am

There's a lot of different research that comes out regular and one that recently came out was a report by Edison on podcast consumption. We talk about it on BP but sometimes people are skeptical as it conflicts a bit with other data sources.

What is everyone's take on Edison podcast consumption research? Where do you like to get your stats from?
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

Johnny P

Re: Do You Value Edison (and similar) Research?

Post by Johnny P » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Released yesterday, Podcasters Roundtable #92 is all about the Edison report and the 4 Roundtablers opinions & thoughts about it. It's just one more informed and interesting look at the reports merits. I believe these and other stats help in the understanding of this new industry. I also believe with in any new industry, it will take time to develop the right questions to ask, and the right way to ask them, to really develop an accurate understanding of what is really happening. Johnny P

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:41 am

I think you nailed it! I expressed my uncertainty on the smart speaker results in episode 76 of BP this week and I think as things grow we will get more accurate and better tailored stats. For now though, it's valuable information to me.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:25 am

FYI - in case anyone reading this thread is interested in checking out these reports for themselves here's the link to a 2017 Bridge Ratings Podcast post:

http://www.bridgeratings.com/2017-podca ... ough-year/

And here's the link to the 2017 Podcast Consumer Edison Research Survey results:

http://www.edisonresearch.com/the-podca ... umer-2017/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:37 pm

I don't want to be that guy, but when it comes to Podcast Research it's hard for me not to feel like it's just "agenda driven" filler..

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:31 am

joshuacliston wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:37 pm
I don't want to be that guy, but when it comes to Podcast Research it's hard for me not to feel like it's just "agenda driven" filler..
I guess we are just two peas in a pod because I'm seeing straight through some of these commissioned studies myself. The latest "Study" put together by the Interactive Agency Bureau ( https://www.iab.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... Final_.pdf ) is less veiled than most but all of the latest "research" has been building to say that podcasting is growing and therefore monetizeable. Which I applaud the message but I worry about the future because of it.

Once the money flows into the space on the level of radio then it will change the pod-space. Infrastructure companies like Blubrry, Podbean and Libsyn will have to change their business models in order to be fiscally viable to continue on as business entities. This could mean that hobbyists and independents could get left in the cold.

What do I mean by this? Take the latest Apple announcement at WWDC 2017 for example. Apple unilaterally decided to add relevant "tags" to podcasts starting with iOS 11. This revision of the format wasn't out of the goodness of their hearts. It was they are trying to make podcasting profitable for Apple. But it also means that it will change the way podcasts are produced, distributed and consumed. So far it was just a minor change and one that just about everyone agrees was far past due BUT it underscores the larger fact that Apple can do whatever they want to and all the podcast producers will have to conform to their way of doing business.

More importantly, who would even have the say to tell Apple what to do? A bunch of Independent podcasters that get less than 250 downloads per episode and therefor not monetizable? Or a group of some medium sized businesses like the ones that sponsored the IAB study that have some money and are trying to make more?

Again, I applaud their ability to monetize the space but at the same time I'm hoping that it doesn't destroy the hobbyist / independent part of the space int he process.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:07 am

StargatePioneer wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:31 am
Again, I applaud their ability to monetize the space but at the same time I'm hoping that it doesn't destroy the hobbyist / independent part of the space int he process.
Well said SP. I hadn't really thought about the financial implications of the space getting BIG! ..as I don't tend to think about money much at all in relation to my Podcasting. But you're right - if the goal is to grow many more huge shows that can be monetized, then it only makes sense that providers like Libsyn, Blubrry etc. will see their costs go way up too! They might not have any option but to raise the cost of their entry-level and non-commercial level plans just to stay viable.

Is the push to monetize the top end of the space, going to force us all to have to find a way to monetize our own shows at some point, just to stay afloat? Will absorbing bandwidth costs and doing deals at the commercial level of the space, mean the costs will flow downhill to the non-commercial Podcaster?

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm

joshuacliston wrote:
StargatePioneer wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:31 am
Well said SP. I hadn't really thought about the financial implications of the space getting BIG! ..as I don't tend to think about money much at all in relation to my Podcasting. But you're right - if the goal is to grow many more huge shows that can be monetized, then it only makes sense that providers like Libsyn, Blubrry etc. will see their costs go way up too! They might not have any option but to raise the cost of their entry-level and non-commercial level plans just to stay viable.

Is the push to monetize the top end of the space, going to force us all to have to find a way to monetize our own shows at some point, just to stay afloat? Will absorbing bandwidth costs and doing deals at the commercial level of the space, mean the costs will flow downhill to the non-commercial Podcaster?
The actual bandwidth costs of a hobbyist podcast will remain low in my opinion. What will happen though is that the infrastructure available to hobbyists, independents and others that choose not to monetize will become limited or non existent.

As I often have I will use the example of local cable stations. The ability to assemble a production worth syndicating to other independent channels and local channels is pretty much non-existent today. Rather, it has all shifted to destinations like YouTube and Facebook. That's not necessarily a bad thing for now. Eventually, however, even these platforms will throttle what consumers migrate to through "guided" searches and modified feeds. Google and Facebook already do this to an extent so it is only a matter of time before content flow will be selected for us once again.

The days of being able to effectively search all podcasts on a specific topic are indeed numbered. Why? It's all because the directories and podcatchers will make more money directed people to content that makes them money in return.

Frozt

Post by Frozt » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:57 am

There are a ton of great points.

1. Organizations such as Libsyn, Blubrry, etc will end up raising the cost, but seeing as these are "corporate" entities, the end game for them is more money in rather than out. Usually forcing things that podcasters find unacceptable.

2. Hobby-Casters will find ways around large entities and other smaller groups will form. I think the best example of this would be Vimeo and Youtube. Two platforms that do the same, but one charges simply for uploads and the other doesn't. But if you look hard enough, ad-free alternatives are out there.

3. Building off of #1, it's only a matter of time before Libsyn, Blubrry, etc begin forced ads and monetization. Meaning even if you don't opt in for ads, they will place them at the beginning thus the original uploader loses out.

4. As far as throttling goes, I don't see YouTube or Facebook doing this. In the end it'll be the user's ISP that does the throttling. Everyone has a hand in someone else's pocket.

But SP has this right:
The days of being able to effectively search all podcasts on a specific topic are indeed numbered. Why? It's all because the directories and podcatchers will make more money directed people to content that makes them money in return.
Host of ChatNShat

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:11 am

Frozt wrote:There are a ton of great points.

1. Organizations such as Libsyn, Blubrry, etc will end up raising the cost, but seeing as these are "corporate" entities, the end game for them is more money in rather than out. Usually forcing things that podcasters find unacceptable.

2. Hobby-Casters will find ways around large entities and other smaller groups will form. I think the best example of this would be Vimeo and Youtube. Two platforms that do the same, but one charges simply for uploads and the other doesn't. But if you look hard enough, ad-free alternatives are out there.

3. Building off of #1, it's only a matter of time before Libsyn, Blubrry, etc begin forced ads and monetization. Meaning even if you don't opt in for ads, they will place them at the beginning thus the original uploader loses out.

4. As far as throttling goes, I don't see YouTube or Facebook doing this. In the end it'll be the user's ISP that does the throttling. Everyone has a hand in someone else's pocket.

But SP has this right:
Another continuing concern of mine is the infrastructure surrounding the RSS. Yes, Apple just updated their tag specifications at WWDC 2017 but the RSS 2.0 has been rather stable since Adam and Dave created it in 2004. It wouldn't take much for someone like Apple to throw the hammer down and revise to RSS 3.0 or something else entirely that would be difficult to replicate or access without a lot of cash.

So just be wary about the pod-space around you. It is changing, it is changing rapidly and a combination of big ad dollars and updated technology is forcing the changes.