What Media Host Do You Use For Your Podcast?

Whether it was rock solid or a rocky road, post your experience with podcast media hosts here. Please post inquiries in the Service Inquiry forum. Note that self-hosting (such as using WordPress) belongs in Other Podcast Hosting Service Reviews.
StephenJondrew
Site Admin

What Media Host Do You Use For Your Podcast?

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:59 pm

You know that at some point someone would ask this question. This is a permanently stickied topic for you to share what media host you're with, why you like them, and any other relevant feedback.

Please keep this about your media host and not off topic (such as media vs self hosting). Please take a look at the bottom of this post for some other kind of related ongoing threads. Alright - reply away!

Related Threads
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

ScottSmith14

Re: What Media Host Do You Use For Your Podcast?

Post by ScottSmith14 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:41 pm

We've used Libsyn since we started our podcast about a year ago. We've had absolutely no problem with Libsyn at all. We have the $25 a month plan with the enhanced statistics which is really cool. Downloads are broken down by country and by state. Since we've never used anything else, it may be unfair for me to say it's easy-to-use, but if I can use it, it's easy to use.

thepodcastconsultant

Post by thepodcastconsultant » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:21 am

I have used most of them Libsyn, Blubrry, Podbean, Omny Studio, Awesound, Podiant, SoundCloud. Some are terrible but all of the main ones have redeeming features. It's just a matter of choosing the right one for your needs.
Learn more thepodcastconsultant.com
Check out the brand new podcastbulletin.com
Use the go-to resource podtopod.com

MaxFlight

Post by MaxFlight » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:57 am

The creator of my first podcast had a media host with somebody who went out of business after our first 6 episodes in 2008. I can't remember who it was, but after that the media hosting was on archive.org. After about a year, I took over the show and continued on archive.org for a bit. My only criticism at the time was some difficulty getting the 90 minute audio file to upload.

I knew I wanted a "real" media host and I was aware of Libsyn so moved media hosting to them. It's been great service since then with over 2.8 million downloads.

In late 2013 I started another podcast and purely to understand the difference, I picked Blubrry as the media host. That service has also been perfect. I use the Blubrry PowerPress plugin with both. It's hard for me to give advice on one over the other. Stats presentation is a bit different.

A third podcast is on Simplecast. I'm the co-host and audio editor, but have no involvement in the other operational aspects of the show. That podcast is part of a business, and from my perspective there have been no problems with Simplecast. But again, my involvement is minimal.

If I was starting a new podcast, who would I host with? Definitely either Blubrry or Libsyn: Excellent performance, excellent service, very good support of the podcasting community, and apparently robust business models that support the likelihood that they'll be around for some time to come.
Max Flight
Aviation Podcasts: Airplane Geeks | The UAV Digest | #PaxEx Podcast
Social Media: ​Twitter | LinkedIn

tomtate

Post by tomtate » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:19 pm

I've hosted a show for the past few years with Libsyn. The interface feels old, but it never held me back from publishing easily. There are some features I'm not taking advantage of to automatically share your show to different sources. The analytics are awesome. This show gets the most volume for me, so I'm in there looking at stats all the time.

I have a niche video game show on Blubrry. Chose that to integrate easily to PowerPress, since this show was running off of a Wordpress blog. I am not happy with the analytics and analytics presentation, compared to Libsyn. I may consider moving over to Libsyn at some point with this one.

I JUST launched a third podcast on Pinecast. It's $5/mo with unlimited storage and multiple shows. I plan to do more frequent publishing with this one and found the interface for pushing out an episode SO easy. They are a small shop (I think it's a one-person show with an open-source product) but the pricing is right for me and so far so good. I'll update if things change. My only concern is if he decides to shut down, but I'm willing to take that risk since this podcast is very much a hobby/experiment.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:20 pm

tomtate wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:19 pm
I JUST launched a third podcast on Pinecast. It's $5/mo with unlimited storage and multiple shows. I plan to do more frequent publishing with this one and found the interface for pushing out an episode SO easy. They are a small shop (I think it's a one-person show with an open-source product) but the pricing is right for me and so far so good. I'll update if things change. My only concern is if he decides to shut down, but I'm willing to take that risk since this podcast is very much a hobby/experiment.
I have started to hear more and more about Pinecast. Since I doubt I'll be starting a new podcast anytime soon I am interested to hear about your experiences. I do have worries about Pinecast being able to provide bandwidth consistently and reliably at that low of a price point for everyone on the Starter Plan but I guess all businesses have to start somewhere. Reliability would be my main concern and a key detractor to other existing media service like SoundCloud and Pobean (Podbean BEFORE the switch to Amazon S3 servers anyway) that I have noticed in recent years.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

tomtate

Post by tomtate » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Definitely. Will keep my post up to date.

One thing I like about Pinecast is that they are very transparent. https://pinecast.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... -Pinecast-

No doubt, anything can go wrong with a one-or-few-person operation, and as we've seen last month Amazon S3 is not immune to downtime, but it seems like it's all respected cloud-based services, not someone's basement servers. This is a show I'm not relying on for traffic, income, etc., so it was a good opportunity to take it for a spin.

Jason Bryant

Post by Jason Bryant » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Of the 19 shows on my network, 18 are on Libsyn and the other is on Spreaker. I used Blubrry for a few shows for a while, but when I archived them, I switched them over to Libsyn mainly for archival purposes and consistency with stats. Both are great. I have some space on my Spreaker account that I basically used as a beta test and it's been working fine. Only drawback I've seen with Spreaker is its lack of code in the ID3 tags which must be entered in their system.
Founder, Mat Talk Podcast Network
www.mattalkonline.com

R077

Post by R077 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:45 pm

I was thinking on using speaker and or Libsyn... any thoughts

Jason Bryant

Post by Jason Bryant » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:02 pm

Going to recommend Libsyn first, but the top three are solid. I've not used podbean.
Founder, Mat Talk Podcast Network
www.mattalkonline.com