What Media Host Do You Use For Your Podcast?

Whether it was rock solid or a rocky road, post your experience with podcast media hosts here. Please post inquiries in the Service Inquiry forum. Note that self-hosting (such as using WordPress) belongs in Other Podcast Hosting Service Reviews.
StargatePioneer

Re: What Media Host Do You Use For Your Podcast?

Post by StargatePioneer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:33 pm

R077 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:45 pm
I was thinking on using speaker and or Libsyn... any thoughts
By Spreaker's own admission via Rob Greenlee they are focusing primarily on live audio streaming. Because of this I'd rate their streaming capability as superior to anyone in the business for audio. Mixlr is a very close second, but Mixlr is not a podcast media host meaning you cannot generate an RSSfeed from their files. However, I would not rate Spreaker very high as a media host because there $20 plan only gives you 500 hours of storage. Which means that once you get close to 500 hours you'll have to delete some of the back catalog.

Libsyn does not offer a live streaming option which is why I have account on both Libsyn and Spreaker. Libsyn is a full service option with superior statics presentations. You can also throttle your monthly plan down to $5/month when you take a break or end your show. I love that option too. I've already ended one show on Libsyn (Voices Of Defiance) and love that I can keep the RSS feed strong for only $5/month when I end a show.

Libsyn is always my first recommendation. They are the industry standard in my opinion and have earned my confidence.

Podbean is another good option as well.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

R077

Post by R077 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Thank you so much... for the info... Libsyn does seem to be the best option...

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:35 am

I have used Libsyn, Spreaker and Soundcloud. Libsyn is superior to both by a fair margin, though Spreaker gets better and better every day, and is for certain types of shows would be an even better option than Libsyn. Having not used Blubrry I can neither confirm nor dent their viability - but I will say I have moved completely away from Wordpress to Squarespace, and I'm loving that change!

**updated 2018-06-05 .. for my latest podcast "Punching Sideways with Josh Liston" I've been using Whooshkaa and it's been surprisingly great. The interface is easy to use (and looks fantastic) and the team have been awesome! ++ the company is based here in Australia where I live, so their support team is available inside my normal work hours +++ they get the unique challenges of producing and promoting audio inside and outside of AUS.**
Last edited by joshuacliston on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conradfreemymind

Post by conradfreemymind » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:09 pm

I use spreaker. I had a few bad experiences trying free stuff ... like friendfeed (remember them?)... and others that I forgot their name. Pod bean was a nightmare a few years ago for me as far as dependability.
I like the fact that it ports to YouTube.
Spreaker is working well for me.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:06 am

conradfreemymind wrote:I use spreaker. I had a few bad experiences trying free stuff ... like friendfeed (remember them?)... and others that I forgot their name. Pod bean was a nightmare a few years ago for me as far as dependability.
I like the fact that it ports to YouTube.
Spreaker is working well for me.
I use Spreaker as well for a secondary distribution platform from Libsyn and a primarily audio-only live feed. I like to use Speaker for live audio streaming over Mixlr because I can leave my live show posted on Spreaker after the broadcast until I replace it with the final edited copy that is published on Libsyn. One of my main concerns over using Spreaker as a long term main media host is that they limit you to 500 hours of audio. With that said I haven't reached the limit yet but I soon will and I will have to start deleting old content. Spreaker stats are also not up to par with Libsyn's stats yet. But here's where you win with Spreaker: cost. For $20 I can have as many show's RSS feeds as I want as long as I stay under that 500 hour storage cap. That's a deal right there.

I've heard of Podbean's past reliability issues, which were real and would cause me to not recommend them in the past. However, ever since Podbean switched over to use the Amazon S3 storage backbone there hasn't been an issue and I do recommend Podbean as an alternative to Libsyn.

As far as the free stuff, I wish it worked too! Sadly it appears that you get what you pay for with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

R077

Post by R077 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:11 pm

I just started my podcast with 10 episodes and right now I am using spreaker at some point I might switch over to Libsyn though I'm not sure how to do that as as of yet lol

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:18 pm

R077 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:11 pm
I just started my podcast with 10 episodes and right now I am using spreaker at some point I might switch over to Libsyn though I'm not sure how to do that as as of yet lol
Out of curiosity, what's your thoughts on making the migration?
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

Ikea Logistics

Post by Ikea Logistics » Sat May 05, 2018 5:53 am

Podbean for me I’m on the unlimited audio package

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Tue May 08, 2018 9:47 am

Ikea Logisrics wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:53 am
Podbean for me I’m on the unlimited audio package
I'm glad you came over and posted here. When I saw your introduction post, I had noticed you were using podbean. I think podbean is great, and offer a good balance of price and features. What was the reason you decided to use them?
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

Ikea Logistics

Post by Ikea Logistics » Tue May 08, 2018 10:35 am

Price to be honest Stephen and that they provide a ready made webpage and statistics for the best price that I have found after looking at the other providers.

I do have a reseller package with my hosting company here in the UK so may well go self hosting at some point as in the future I may also do video interviews (need to determine what equipment to use for that) and it would work out cheaper than the Podbean offer.

As you can see I use Hindenburg for the recording as it does all I need it to do at the present time.