SoundCloud Watch - 2017

Whether it was rock solid or a rocky road, post your experience with podcast media hosts here. Please post inquiries in the Service Inquiry forum. Note that self-hosting (such as using WordPress) belongs in Other Podcast Hosting Service Reviews.
StargatePioneer

SoundCloud Watch - 2017

Post by StargatePioneer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:54 am

SoundCloud, the music media juggernaught (and part-time podcast media host) has never been able to make a ton of money. In fact, since 2010 SoundCloud has been losing cash in even more impressing amounts each year: https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/ ... e51m-loss/.

Recently, SoundCloud announced a 40% reduction in staff along with closing 2 of their worldwide offices in London and San Francisco: https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/ ... hits-hard/

Shortly thereafter, news started to leak from the inside of SoundCloud: https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/12/soundshroud/.

All this puts SoundCloud in the most dire straits we've seen in a major podcast host company in a while. I get the appeal. The low monthly rate for the amount of data you get. The ready-made engaged audience. The beautiful player. The Facebook Integration. Yes. All cool things. But stability and longevity? That's another thing entirely.

I'll be watching the SoundCloud events from the safety of not having a podcast hosted there so there's really no skin in the game for me other than wanting to keep a healthy competition up to keep lower rates and increase service from other media hosts. Also, perhaps this is SoundClouds successful attempt at becoming profitable? Maybe they will have to close down? Maybe they will just close down their bandwidth hunger podcast division? Maybe they will sell off their podcast hosting business? I have no idea.

However, I do know that if I was hosting on SoundCloud I'd want to move somewhere else. Namely Podbean or Libsyn. And from what I heard, Libsyn is offering free back catalog data transfers (a service which normally costs) for free for SoundCloud users only. I would be taking advantage of this offer if I hosted on SoundCloud.

But I know there are many SoundCloud proponents out there so let me know what you think and if you are staying I'd love to read why as well.

~SP
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Re: SoundCloud Watch - 2017

Post by StephenJondrew » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:03 am

It's amazing how many people are still drinking the kool-aid on think. The unfortunate problem is SoundCloud has a 100% track record of not closing contrary to their reports of doom and gloom and that's what they hide behind. I've seen people use this as a blatant excuse to disregard the latest information.... ugh.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast