How Do You Self-Host Your Podcast?

Post your experiences with podcast hosting services aside from media hosts here. For example, WordPress Plugins, Squarespace, Wixx, etc. Please post inquiries in the Service Inquiry forum.
Frozt

Re: How Do You Self-Host Your Podcast?

Post by Frozt » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:40 am

I'm currently self-hosting on a Dedicated Linux box. Running:
Wordpress (with lots of add-ons) one specific is the PowerPress by Blubrry

I let wordpress roll the xml, post to twitter and facebook, and send updates to Itunes/Google Music/Stitcher. Yay automatic stuff.

All I really do is record the podcast, upload it to a designated folder, write the Post in WP, give powerpress the url to the uploaded track and I'm done.

If anyone wants my server spec's I'll list em out.

StargatePioneer

Post by StargatePioneer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Frozt wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:40 am

I let wordpress roll the xml, post to twitter and facebook, and send updates to Itunes/Google Music/Stitcher. Yay automatic stuff.

All I really do is record the podcast, upload it to a designated folder, write the Post in WP, give powerpress the url to the uploaded track and I'm done.

How do you get around your ISP knowing about your self hosting? How much bandwidth are you consuming?
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

Frozt

Post by Frozt » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:33 pm

It's a Colo box. And since I'm really just getting off the ground, I can't speculate on the amount of bandwidth just yet.
Host of ChatNShat

zacharywebb

Post by zacharywebb » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Frozt wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:40 am

What kind of server is it and can you list a few specs please?
- Zachary Webb -
Podcaster at Serious About Tech! - Freelance Web Developer at WebbCo.us
Follower of Jesus Christ

Frozt

Post by Frozt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:29 pm

zacharywebb wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 pm

What kind of server is it and can you list a few specs please?
Like I mentioned, a colo dedicated box. Running Ubuntu 16, php 7, mysql 5.7 (percona to be clear), apache 2.4, and letsencrypt ssl.

As far as hardware:
Dual Intel Xeon 5520 @ 2.7Ghz
16 Gb Ram
4TB HDD Sata
1GB Net connection

Machine has seen 6GB of transfer since June 1st (3gb in and 3 out). Now, I'm expecting that number to jump with the more the podcast catches on.
Host of ChatNShat

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:34 am

Frozt, thanks so much for posting your experience on self hosting. I've watched far too often people drink the cool aid on how extensive hardware needs to be for server requirements for hosting. The reality is, for the average podcaster that's just not true. If you're lucky enough to be a massively downloaded cast, then Yea, there are going to be issues. However, for many its not that big of a deal.

The biggest challenge I have with recommending podcasters do something like yourself, is that many I've experienced are too lazy (or too technically challenged) to keep WordPress up to date, let alone all the stuff that comes with server management. But as I always say, people should work within their comfort level... For some (like you and I), server management is that.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. Self hosting represent! :)
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

Frozt

Post by Frozt » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:43 pm

StephenJondrew wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:34 am
Frozt, thanks so much for posting your experience on self hosting. I've watched far too often people drink the cool aid on how extensive hardware needs to be for server requirements for hosting. The reality is, for the average podcaster that's just not true. If you're lucky enough to be a massively downloaded cast, then Yea, there are going to be issues. However, for many its not that big of a deal.

The biggest challenge I have with recommending podcasters do something like yourself, is that many I've experienced are too lazy (or too technically challenged) to keep WordPress up to date, let alone all the stuff that comes with server management. But as I always say, people should work within their comfort level... For some (like you and I), server management is that.

Shoot, I love self hosting. I could geek out on it all day.

And to be honest, with the way things are (namely google), server management is becoming a lazy field too. Got a problem? just google it. Don't need to understand they why, just that it needs fixin.

Anyhow, your welcome. Represent!
Host of ChatNShat

yakko

Post by yakko » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:46 am

Frozt wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:43 pm
StephenJondrew wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:34 am

Shoot, I love self hosting. I could geek out on it all day.

And to be honest, with the way things are (namely google), server management is becoming a lazy field too. Got a problem? just google it. Don't need to understand they why, just that it needs fixin.

Anyhow, your welcome. Represent!
That's basically how I have a career. People are too lazy to figure out things for themselves, so they call me. I google the answer and look like a genius to them.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:58 am

I think we need a self hosting club. I love geeking out on it... In fact, I was just looking at the hosting I use for my media files (I keep them separate from my main site for diversifying reasons), and was thinking that it might be time to make another change with some of my really old projects. What I love the most about it is looking at my hosting know that infrastructure is under my control.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast