How Do You Self-Host Your Podcast?

Post your experiences with podcast hosting services aside from media hosts here. For example, WordPress Plugins, Squarespace, Wixx, etc. Please post inquiries in the Service Inquiry forum.
StephenJondrew
Site Admin

How Do You Self-Host Your Podcast?

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Do you self-host your podcast? Here's an ongoing stickied thread for you to share your self-hosting method. Go ahead and mention what platform you use, plugins, webhosting provider - anything you feel is relevant to this discussion.

Please keep this about your self-hosting experience and not off topic (such as media vs self hosting). Please take a look at the bottom of this post for some other kind of related ongoing threads. Alright - reply away!

Related Threads
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Re: How Do You Self-Host Your Podcast?

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:14 am

I've been self-hosting my podcasts through various methods since I first began podcasting in 2008 (the only exception being Better Podcasting). I started out hand-rolling (ie. hard coding / writing by hand) the RSS feed and then moved on to using PodPress. When that became unsupportable I swapped to PowePress and have been very happy with it. While PowerPress is good, I still miss having the raw dataset that was provided by PodPress.

Over the years I've had it where I kept the files on the same server as my main website, but also where I keep them on a separate hosting package. I find that latter more annoying for statistics purposes, however, I find it that better solution for multiple reasons but primarily that it makes backing up the main website a lot faster, as well as making sure my content is split so that file downloads don't affect the main webhosting package, and vice versa (ie. if we get a spike in web traffic it doesn't affect the file download server).

yakko

Post by yakko » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:19 pm

I self host through a Dreamhost shared hosting plan that I've had for years. I think we're beginning to feel the strain though and one of my upcoming projects is to evaluate different hosting options going forward. We use Wordpress and Powerpress, and have stats through Podtrac and Blubrry (we started with Podtrac, and still use it as a reference for the Blubrry numbers).

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:04 am

What sort of strain are you seeing? It's definitely a possibility as Shared Hosting often has lower limitations.

yakko

Post by yakko » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:17 am

Just overall slowness in the wordpress admin panel, and every so often when I click something on the dashboard I'll get a page not found error. It doesn't seem to be affecting the end-user side of the site much, so that's good.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:20 am

That does sound like possibly resource limits being hit. What I've found myself through various past projects is that WordPress itself can cause the strain with any website with a reasonable amount of traffic. Have you looked in to any caching plugins? I noticed massive CPU and Memory decrease after adding one to GonnaGeek.

yakko

Post by yakko » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:32 am

Yeah, I'm using wp-supercache I think. I'm pretty sure it's just time to up my plan or go to another solution. I've been on this $10 plan for probably a bit too long.

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:14 am

One thing I like to do whenever I'm considering upping a plan or shopping for a new host is to spreadsheet out all the different resource limits. Sometimes you'll have to ask the host directly, other times it's kind of hidden. Once or twice I've found very low limits in areas like concurrent php or sql processes, which with WordPress can be a problem. In any case, good luck and hopefully you'll find any answer soon. :)

zacharywebb

Post by zacharywebb » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:25 pm

I self-hosted my first podcast on free web hosting. That did not work for long! The free web hosting was down 98% of the time. I host my episodes now on cheap shared hosting, but would like to upgrade to Libsyn's classic 250 plan.

I also started hand-rolling my HTML, but did not know about RSS feeds. I use Wordpress and PowerPress now.
- Zachary Webb -
Podcaster at Serious About Tech! - Freelance Web Developer at WebbCo.us
Follower of Jesus Christ

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:27 am

I personally recommend people consult http://www.webhostingtalk.com to find webhosts as there is a lot of good feedback there (you have to sort through the advertisements of course). I've always consulted there for my hosts and have been happy - just had to do my research.