Fiverr and other Voice Over sites are getting too expensive for hobbyists.

If you have a question about a service (such as functionality or features), post it here. Please consult the review boards instead of asking "what is your favorite" style topics.
joshuacliston

Fiverr and other Voice Over sites are getting too expensive for hobbyists.

Post by joshuacliston » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Has anyone else noticed how much the price of V/O work on Fiverr has gone up in the past 6-12months?

**Not that the talent isn't worth the price** but it does make certain production styles tough to pull off for a hobbyist producer. For example - when I can't find a friend or fellow podcaster to voice parts for On The Bubble podcast I often go to Fiverr last minute and get small jobs done, and it's costing me way too much money these days to keep doing that..

I'm looking at creating a super simple website to help Podcasters over at voiceshare.org (site not live as yet) where hobbyist and Pro-am Podcasters can post their voice-type, avails and interest in providing FOC V/O for other similar Podcasters (under creative commons or similar) - V/O talent must receive a mention in the final audio production at some point and on the web post associated with that specific episode.

For instance - I could post that I'm avail for: 150 word or less male Australian voice overs (subject to avails) in the month of Dec 2017.

Obviously loads to sort out, but any initial thoughts would be much appreciated. :)

StargatePioneer

Re: Fiverr and other Voice Over sites are getting too expensive for hobbyists.

Post by StargatePioneer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 pm

joshuacliston wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 pm
Has anyone else noticed how much the price of V/O work on Fiverr has gone up in the past 6-12months?

**Not that the talent isn't worth the price** but it does make certain production styles tough to pull off for a hobbyist producer. For example - when I can't find a friend or fellow podcaster to voice parts for On The Bubble podcast I often go to Fiverr last minute and get small jobs done, and it's costing me way too much money these days to keep doing that..

I'm looking at creating a super simple website to help Podcasters over at voiceshare.org (site not live as yet) where hobbyist and Pro-am Podcasters can post their voice-type, avails and interest in providing FOC V/O for other similar Podcasters (under creative commons or similar) - V/O talent must receive a mention in the final audio production at some point and on the web post associated with that specific episode.

For instance - I could post that I'm avail for: 150 word or less male Australian voice overs (subject to avails) in the month of Dec 2017.

Obviously loads to sort out, but any initial thoughts would be much appreciated. :)
Ooooo - I love this idea as I love doing VoiceOvers.
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:44 am

StargatePioneer wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 pm
Ooooo - I love this idea as I love doing VoiceOvers.
Any ideas for how to best pull this off, I'm all ears SP. :!:

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:14 am

This sounds very good; however, to be honest, I have to look at it objectively. I personally believe that the price is going up for voiceovers because a lot of these people who had little experience but good enough equipment, have realized that Fiverr is shortchanging them significantly. Voicework is quite a profitable business - if done through proper channels. I think that as people start to get more experience, these "traditional" opportunities become more of a possibility because they now have a resume. I think that the mentality that his driven the fiverr increase could be an obstacle for this idea. As people realize they're successful, they may become less interested in doing it.

Just a random theory.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

joshuacliston

Post by joshuacliston » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:52 am

StephenJondrew wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:14 am
This sounds very good; however, to be honest, I have to look at it objectively. I personally believe that the price is going up for voiceovers because a lot of these people who had little experience but good enough equipment, have realized that Fiverr is shortchanging them significantly. Voicework is quite a profitable business - if done through proper channels. I think that as people start to get more experience, these "traditional" opportunities become more of a possibility because they now have a resume. I think that the mentality that his driven the fiverr increase could be an obstacle for this idea. As people realize they're successful, they may become less interested in doing it.

Just a random theory.
Strong theory SJ. I'll keep thinking about how to make it work, as I want it to be for non-commercial Podcasters to get to know each other and trade V/O with each other.