Discord

If you have a question about a service (such as functionality or features), post it here. Please consult the review boards instead of asking "what is your favorite" style topics.
yakko

Discord

Post by yakko » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Has anyone else used Discord with their podcast? I had been looking at Slack when one of my co-hosts set up a Discord server for us. They are pretty similar, but Discord has integrated voice chat in it. Patreon also has Discord integrations, and we use that to create additional channels and features for our supporters based on their Patreon level.
I can't wait until Discord adds video chat, which they say is coming this year, but the audio chat has been great. We have pretty much replaced Skype with Discord and let our Patreon supporters listen in as we record the show. I'm interested in how other people are using Discord with their shows.

StargatePioneer

Re: Discord

Post by StargatePioneer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:08 pm

This looks interesting. I particularly like the integration possibilities with Patreon. How is the voice chat quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Host of www.betterpodcasting.com and Vice President Network Deveopment GonnaGeek.com

yakko

Re: Discord

Post by yakko » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:07 pm

It's decent, a bit worse than Skype, but not too bad. You can set the audio bitrate on the voice channels, but I think 64kbps is the default and we just leave it there. We record with Zencastr, so it's good enough for our live listeners to hear us.