What is your editing software?

Software is an important part of podcasting, so discuss it here. This includes both traditional software and apps. PLEASE NOTE, ILLEGAL SOFTWARE DISCUSSION/SHARING IS NOT ALLOWED.
StephenJondrew
Site Admin

What is your editing software?

Post by StephenJondrew » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:13 am

While I know a lot of folks use Audacity, personally, I became an Audition guy early on in my podcasting. While that is in the process of changing, I've always enjoyed the more advanced multi-track configuration of Audition vs Audacity.
The Podcast Forum, Administrator
GonnaGeek.com, Owner/Podcaster • Better Podcasting, Co-Owner/Podcast

MaxFlight

Re: What is your editing software?

Post by MaxFlight » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:45 pm

Audacity because that's what I started with, and especially Hindenburg Journalist Pro because it was designed around spoken word audio production. Most everything else is cluttered with functionality that is appropriate for music production.
Max Flight
Aviation Podcasts: Airplane Geeks | The UAV Digest | #PaxEx Podcast
Social Media: ​Twitter | LinkedIn

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:25 pm

MaxFlight wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:45 pm
Audacity because that's what I started with, and especially Hindenburg Journalist Pro because it was designed around spoken word audio production. Most everything else is cluttered with functionality that is appropriate for music production.
Do you have any insight can you give on Hindenburg Jornalist Pro? Who would be a good candidate to move outside of their comfort zone to give it a shot?

MaxFlight

Post by MaxFlight » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:56 pm

Hindenburg is much simpler than the DAWs most people use. At first, you'll ask, "where's all the stuff?" but that's because you don't really need most of that stuff to produce spoken word recordings.

Hindenburg is a non-destructive editor. Your original audio files remain untouched. That's a different model. It was also designed around the idea that a journalist in the field needed something to record, process, and file a report. It does leveling, compression, EQ, and in the Pro version, loudness normalization, noise removal, and Skype recording. You can also create custom EQ profiles for each person. And you can use VST plugins. A good way to get a feel for Hindy is to visit their webpage and watch some of the video tutorials.

As for who is a good candidate for this software, I'd say someone who wants to focus on voice not music. Someone who likes the idea specific-purpose tools rather than one thing that does everything. You don't want to get into the weeds with compressor or noise reduction settings and prefer simple control knobs. (But if you do have a specific task where you want fine control, you can go buy someone's plugin.)

Again, look at some of the tutorials: https://hindenburg.com/support/tutorials
Max Flight
Aviation Podcasts: Airplane Geeks | The UAV Digest | #PaxEx Podcast
Social Media: ​Twitter | LinkedIn

BandrewSays

Post by BandrewSays » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:48 pm

I personally use Logic Pro X. My first DAW was cakewalk, and then I tried protools back in the early 2000's and I was not a fan of either. Then I picked up a mac, learned garage band, and needed a little bit more power so I upgraded to Logic Pro.

I really like logic because it has an extremely intuitive ui, unlike a lot of DAW's I've come across. Also, just like Max mentioned in his discussion of Hindenburg, it is a non-destructive editor, so it keeps all the raw files in case you want to change any settings.
Podcastage, Owner / Host
Bandrew Says Podcast, Owner / Host
Geeks Rising, Founder / Editor-in-Chief

StephenJondrew
Site Admin

Post by StephenJondrew » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:52 am

BandrewSays wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:48 pm
I personally use Logic Pro X. My first DAW was cakewalk, and then I tried protools back in the early 2000's and I was not a fan of either. Then I picked up a mac, learned garage band, and needed a little bit more power so I upgraded to Logic Pro.

I really like logic because it has an extremely intuitive ui, unlike a lot of DAW's I've come across. Also, just like Max mentioned in his discussion of Hindenburg, it is a non-destructive editor, so it keeps all the raw files in case you want to change any settings.
I received Cakewalk with my Cakewalk FA-66. I tried to like it, but in the end used it to record my audio, and from there dumped it in to Audition.

tomtate

Post by tomtate » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:23 pm

I started on Garageband back in 2005 when I got my first Mac. Just stuck with it for the longest time. Switched to Audition when it became included as part of the Creative Cloud suite. Really glad I did, too. Didn't know what I was missing.

Jason Bryant

Post by Jason Bryant » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:27 pm

Started by simply recording the output of Nicecast in 2008, then to Garageband in 2010. Tried Audacity when I launched a new show in 2013 and have been on Audition since 2014 because I had the Creative Cloud.
Founder, Mat Talk Podcast Network
www.mattalkonline.com

yakko

Post by yakko » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:30 am

I use Audacity mainly. I have tried Hindenburg Journalist for a few shows because of the deal they had a few months ago, but my hands know so many of the shortcuts for Audacity that it's hard to change at this point.